1.4 Unfortunate Soul

A/N: Eon in the picture ;)

I turn, meeting eyes with the newcomer. Like my current aggressor, this man has icy blue eyes but is light blond instead of the deeper earth tones of the first.

The way his muscles overfill his shirt and define themselves through the fabric with every curve, his jeans sure cost a fortune, so I wonder if he needs more money.

The only enjoyable thing about another vampire is that he's gone when I turn to look for Leopold. Though I'm delighted, it's just trading one leech for another.

"Are you all right, Miss?" he finally says; his tone is gentle and sincere.

"Yes," I turn my eyes upwards slightly and look around. Yet Eon seems not to notice and slides closer to me.

"Are you sure, sweetling?"

What's with these vampires? Why can't they read the bored expression on my face?

"The vampire looked like he was about to attack you," he pressed.

"I can take care of myself; thank you for your concern." But this vampire left me wondering what would have happened if he hadn't shown up when he did...

He smiles seductively and scoots closer to me. "Hard not to worry when I see a damsel in distress."

"Well, thank you," I'll say it soon. I hope this will be the end of the conversation.

"I'm Eon." One of his hands lifts off softly, reaching for my face as if he means to caress it. I could feel the right side of my eyebrow lifting upward as I stared at his hands.

He made an uncomfortable move, and I would remove that hand.

Eventually, Eon drops his hand back to his side, still staring at me expectantly.

"I'm Isabella," I pronounced my name slowly and deliberately. Hopefully, he would learn the complete name.

Just like every vampire here, he smiles with recognition in his eyes. This vampire knows who I am. "That's an adorable name, Isabella," he pronounces my name with an Italian accent to let me know where the name came from. "It's a pleasure meeting you," he keeps a smile on his face. "Are you a student here?"

"Yes."

"I'm sorry if I offended you. You look like the girl who can care for herself, Isa." The level of charm in his voice makes me want to gag. "You're quite a lovely girl." He scoots so close that our legs touch, causing one of my eyebrows to lift in a questioning manner as I suspect what he will do next. "Your mother must be stunning."

The pain comes like a punch to my chest, and I push him away from me. Even after all these years, the reminder of my mother drives a stake in my heart. I am sure the vampire can see my pain, which gives me an idea...

"I wouldn't know," I say, staring at my hands sadly. "Vampires murdered her way before I got to remember her." I look up just in time to see Eon's reaction.

"I am so sorry. I was trying to." With a sympathetic tone, he leans his face so close to mine that our lips are nearly touching—no time to read into his reaction.

Is this a way of distracting me from the truth? Does he think this is the perfect moment for a stolen kiss?

"Just kiss her already," Leopold says from somewhere around.

Eon sighed in annoyance and moved away from me.

"I'll acknowledge your request when you have the courage and conviction to say it to my face."