Chapter 38

Cisco had practically fallen asleep in his chair while he awaited Caitlin's return, he had nearly forgotten about the two heroes that lay next to him, that was until he saw Barry's hand twitch out of the corner of his eye.

Cisco immediately became more alert and stood up as he watched over his friend, "Barry, dude can you hear me?" he asked gently shaking his shoulders.

Barry sprung into a sitting position, his chest rising and falling rapidly as he awoke from his exhausted state, "Dude chill, your body still needs rest, just lay back down," Cisco said pushing Barry back so that he laid against the pillows. "Relax," Cisco said in a calming voice.

"What about Y/N? Did it work, did it work?" Barry repeatedly asked, his breathing fast paced and rushed.

Cisco nodded, "Yeah, you saved the day," Cisco smiled. "We're all fine, Y/N is right there," Cisco said stepping to the side so that Barry could see her, and immediate sense of relief took over his body when he saw that she was okay. "You really scared us there for a second, we've been pumping your system full of adrenaline and fluids for the past three days," Cisco explained.

"Three days?" Barry questioned.

"Yeah, welcome back sleeping beauty," Cisco joked.

Barry scoffed, "Yeah, you're really funny," he teased. "How's Y/N?" he asked looking over at her.

"Same as you were, her body is still in a state of over-exhaustion, we've been flooding her system with adrenaline and fluids, just like we did to you. She'll be up in no time," Cisco said patting Barry on the shoulder.

"And you're sure that she's okay?" Barry asked again.

Cisco let out a soft laugh, "Yes, she is fine, now stop worrying."

Barry knitted his brows, "Who said that I was worrying?"

"Please," Cisco replied. "Your face screams, 'I'm worrying, I'm worrying,'" Cisco said in a mocking tone.

Cisco awaited a reply until he realized that Barry had dozed off, he was still in a state of exhaustion. Cisco let out a sigh before sitting back down, slumping his head in his hands.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few hours later Barry had reawoken and was sitting in bed, Joe and Caitlin were with him in the med bay, both attempting to talk some sense into him.

"I'm telling you I'm fine," Barry said as Caitlin continued to check over his vitals and him, "Just let me be, I'm fine," Barry repeated gently nudging her away.

"Barry," Caitlin interjected, "You ran yourself and your body into a state of exhaustion for nearly 48 hours," she explained. "The speed force energy in your body was completely depleted, your glucose levels were nonexistent, you are far from fine."

"Let me take him home, I'll make sure he takes it easy," Joe said. "I'll watch him and make sure he doesn't do anything stupid, which might be kind of hard for him," he joked.

"Be careful," Caitlin said as she walked out of the room.

About an hour later Joe had taken Barry home and made him comfortable before he left to go home himself. Barry had quickly fallen asleep, his body still tired from earlier.

Near 4:00 in the morning Barry was torn from his sleep, his nightmare haunted him for most of the night, Barry usually had a pair of warm arms wrapped around him by this point, Y/N's arms. Only, he never felt her embrace, he turned and saw that he was alone, Y/N was still at S.T.A.R. Labs, and he was at home...alone.

His nightmare consisted of he and Y/N in Flash-time, only they weren't fast enough, they didn't save the city, and they lost each other, a terrible reality that Barry never wanted to face.

This time there was no one to tell him that it was fine, or that it was only a dream, he had no one. Barry sat there for a while, catching his breath, he laid back down, but he never fell asleep again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Come on, it's not a crazy request," Joe said defending his son to Caitlin.

"Okay just listen, I take her home, she gets to relax and get better in her own bed with her husband. Sounds a lot better than her staying here in a bed with constant monitoring and Cisco playing video games in the Cortex all night. Come on, you took her off of her IV hours ago, at this point she's just laying in a bed. If anything happens I can have her back in seconds...trust me," Barry pleaded, he could tell that Caitlin still doubted him. "Look, if anyone is going to care about her too much, trust me, it'll be me," Barry explained.

"He's not lying," Joe chimed in.

Caitlin stayed silent for a moment, "Let Joe take you both home, you should be resting, and no running." Barry could tell that she wasn't thrilled about the situation, but he stood up and hugged her before going home, taking Y/N with him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He gently put Y/N down on their bed, he grabbed a blanket and covered her. He stood next to her, putting another pillow under her head, he noticed how peaceful she seemed. Barry sat down by her side, he tucked a loose piece of hair behind her ear as she continued to sleep. He looked down and reached for her hand, softly putting it in his palm, Barry was daydreaming before he felt Y/N's hand twitch in his.

Barry looked up to see Y/N smiling down at him, her eyes barely open, "Am I dreaming or do I just have a really hot doctor," she teased.

"No," Barry said standing up, "You just have a very caring husband," he said as he dipped his down to kiss Y/N, his lips fitting into her like pieces of a puzzle...meant to be.

"We did it," she murmured against his lips.

Barry nodded, "Yeah, I guess we did," he said kissing her again, this time a little bit longer.

"Mhmm, come here," Y/N said lifting up the blanket for Barry.

"Why?" he laughed as he crawled in next to Y/N.

"Because I'm tired and I need a pillow," she answered as she scooted close to him.

Barry laughed, "You have two perfectly good pillows right there," Barry pointed out.

"Yeah," Y/N hummed, "But your chest is so much comfier," she said snuggling into the warmth of his sweatshirt, his cologne evident, not that she minded. "I want more of this, alone time, just you and me," Y/N said putting her hand on Barry's chest.

"I do too," he replied, resting his head on top of hers. "We spend almost every day together, we work together, we go home together, and yet I feel like we never just get to be husband and wife, to just be us."

"Agreed."

"Tell you what," Barry said. "What if we have a date night right here right now, I mean all we need is junk food, a TV, and sweatpants and sweatshirts, all of which are covered," Barry said with a smile.

Y/N looked up at him, returning the smile, "All I need is you..."