Chapter 60

"I can't believe you give me your brother's clothes to wear!"

"Would you have like Penelope steal something from José's trunk?" His arms stopped fidgeting with the fancy blue waistcoat and he flashed her a quick glare indicating just how bad of an idea that was.

Halley grinned at him. "I thought so" She continued walking, eager to meet her boys. It felt like days she hadn't seen them rather than hours. They had safely made it down the servant's stairs without any intervene of the guards. Penelope was right about the slipping and falling down the stairs. The steps were so steep, one would have tumbled if they weren't careful and not to mention the darkness even with the lanterns present. Halley worried her bottom lip, she would definitely have to do something about that, and immediately.

"You enjoy pestering me, don't you? "She turned around, giving him a warm smile. Her white cotton gown tried to stay still around her feet. His wife, Joshua noticed loved to wear gowns with too many layers and puff. He wondered if it wasn't too heavy for her thin structure.

"Joshua, you are such a nag..." she touched her chin with her index finger. " I don't remember you being so whiny, perhaps with your..." her eyes traveled to his head. "Long hair you were-" She paused, not finishing that sentence and her hands went to rest on her hips. "Why did you cut it?"

"First of all, I am not a nagger. I just feel uncomfortable wearing another man's clothes" He stated. "And I wasn't in my right mind when I got rid of my hair.... Don't you like it?"

"Ahh the male, pride, ego thing "she resumed walking, taking his arm in the processes as they began strolling through the garden at a leisurely pace. "I understand-"

"I find that very difficult to believe" Joshua mused, giving her a glance sideways. "Although I must admit these feel really comfortable and fits perfectly." Joshua was very pleased to be wearing something different than his Ball attire to meet his son. It was all wrinkled and a few buttons were missing. His hand began to tremble and he balled them into a fist to keep them still. What if his son didn't like him? What if he starts to cry when he attempted to lift him? What if he cries for his mother and refused to meet him? Millions of questions ran through Joshua's mind all negative, possibilities of what could go wrong.

"Joshua?" Halley touched his arm lightly, capturing his attention. "You look nervous" Her eyebrows creased. "There is no need to be," She reached on her toes giving him a lingering kiss on his cheek. "And I love your new look"

"Mama!"

A delightful squeal escaped her lips, she released Joshua's arm and started forward again, leaving him behind. She twirled around in one spot. Halley could have sworn she heard one of her boys. She randomly called one of their names. "Aiden? Aiden where are you?"

Aiden? Halley named their son Aiden? He liked it. She was so secretive about their child, ignoring his questions when they were getting prepared. Was this why? She thought he may not have been fond of the name? Joshua smiled as his wife got on her knees and began crawling to where she heard giggles from behind a bunch of huge pink roses.

Halley saw the tiny face smiling at her through the rose bushes, she knew how they loved playing hide and seek, learning that their mother wanted to see them in the garden they had gone ahead and started playing without her. Penelope must be going crazy looking for them, she mused. "Found you!" The child squealed and lifted himself up to sit on his knees. Halley sighed with relief when she had guessed correctly. It was not easy telling their voices apart.

"Mama, you found me but I helped you" Halley got on her knees and parted the rose bushes to smile at her son, careful of the thorns, the smile faded when she saw the crumbs at the corner of his mouth.