Chapter 40

He wouldn't rest until they are all dead.

Bloodshot eyes lost themselves staring at the fire that emitted crunching noises as it feeds off it prey, it wasn't nightfall and the place felt like ice. Just like his heart. They'd found out about his son's death the following morning. The Commander sat with resentment, bringing his son to England was not supposed to end like this, with a dead body to travel back to France. The door creaking opened didn't disturbed his sentimental thoughts, that was preoccupied with revenge. If only that Fisher boy had let them leave in peace! Phoenix would still be alive. " I never thought you were the sentimental type." He certainly was not but the news had caught him off guard. Phoenix was his pride and joy, he loved his son more than anyone in his entire life.

Vandenburgh picked up the glass of brandy, he had just poured and sipped it " but of course it's your son's death one might feel a bit guilty, losing a family member. That shouldn't have been in London in the first place."

The Commander's eyes darken. " I don't need to be constantly reminded of my son's death, Van. "

" Indeed" he disposed himself on the vacant armchair. " I hope you aren't contemplating revenge " revenge was last thing that should be on their minds. Nothing good ever comes from it. He placed his glass on the table beside him.

" Of course I would avenge my son's death! I wouldn't rest until I do! " Vandenburgh mouth form a thin line, he watched with resentment as the commander grabbed the bottle of whiskey of the table and stood staring out the window. " it wouldn't bring my son back but it sure as hell would make me sleep at nights!"

" Need I remind you Sir that we still have the Princess to be escorted to France! Your fixation on revenge would only get us caught! " the commander pivot his head to stare at him. " I have given up my entire life to search for her, for you to screw things up over a son who didn't even like you!" Vandenburgh sneered.

"How dare you talk to me like that!"

The door suddenly burst opened, to revealed a lady dressed in an exquisite blue gown and bonnet. This cause the Commander to halt in his steps on his way towards Vandenburgh. "I'm I interrupting something?" She kicked the door shut with the back of her foot.

A smile brighten his face. " It's been too long, Giselle"

" I didn't came here to chat gentlemen" her face remained passive, with a lose of a knot, she threw her bonnet on the desk. " I came for my brother. Where is he?" She folded her arms, awaiting an answer. Dimitri had informed her, that her brother was in England when She had sneaked in that night to have a word. Fury had rose within her. How dare he brought him here! Monsieur Vandenburgh had forgotten to enlighten her on that fact. Or did he?

The Commander turned his eyes away from her, he knew how much Phoenix meant to her. " I'm sorry...he is no more with us" he muttered, taking a huge gulp from the bottle before settling it back on the desk.

Her eyebrows rose. " You send him back to France? " She sighed with relief, although she had wanted to meet him before his return. The last time she had saw him was at ten years old. " Good. He's safer there. I can't believe you had the audacity to bring him----"

"He isn't in France! He is dead!"

" Father....I can't believe you" she whispered, tears stinging her cheeks. " you have killed my brother! " the hatred for her father had just increased. He was never a good parent. His criminal actions was unspeakable. He killed without remorse, everyone feared him in France. She never wanted to live in the shadows of her father. Its for that reason she escaped to England with her spinster aunt and had her name changed. He didn't care about her, especially the fact that she was his first born. He'd rather if she wasn't a girl. Fear, that he might seek her out if she carried Phoenix, had her neglected her only brother. A brother she never got to say goodbye to. A brother who may had died, thinking she never cared or loved him. " Why! Phoenix never wanted to be apart of this life! Your life! "