Chapter 37

" The ladies first and only visit was Madame Crystal's dress shop due to the weather they had no intention of visiting another and she claims that she was busy inside when the ladies left." Jake reported, to his friends as they made their way down the busy street. The night had passed quickly and as the sun peaked from the horizon, the gentlemen had scurried into town to start there investigations. So far they weren't finding anything of importance. " What did you learned from the maid and footman? According to Madame Crystal they were outside helping the ladies."

" Nothing " Joshua mumbled, sounding totally annoyed. " they hadn't even notice when the ladies disappeared. "

" But they must have saw something! " Lord Cummings protested. He was a bit fatigue this morning but determination to find his wife and the late October air revived him.

" Not according to Chevon and Kent " How could the ladies just vanished without being noticed? This may not be London but there are few twattle mouths and wondering eyes present. It's impossible to think that these Frenchmen kidnapped the ladies outside the dress shop. Someone or something much have distracted them. " I believe we should have a word with the street sellers "

" They didn't have time for a stroll Joshua, they were trying to make it back home before the rain started. " Jake chimed in. " besides no street seller would be on the street if they saw the weather changing "

Joshua shrugged. " Maybe they made a quick visitor to one of the street sellers that hadn't leaved as yet."

Jake mind twirled with thoughts as he tried to make sense of it. " I supposed " 

The streets were slightly vacant with street sellers, it was to early in the morning for some, who had duties to fulfilled at home, until late afternoon. The weather was turning cooler and soon winter would come, adding to more vacancy of the sellers. Joshua sighed in despair, he planned on taking his wife to London to spend their first Christmas. How drastically things had changed for the worst.

" Excuse me ma'am" the woman who looked up at him, from rumbling through her luggage bag. Had silver hair with a few fading brown ones and a pleasant face.

Her eyes shimmer with joy as she welcome her visitor. " Oh what a delightful surprise to see you Lord Fisher " She rose to her feet, bringing along a few Cotton blankets in her hands.

Joshua wasn't surprised that the lady knew who he was. The whole of Wessex does. His popularity sometimes provoked him, everyone knew what's going on in his life and who he was, when he knew absolutely nothing about them. " It's a pleasure to meet you ma'am. Would you mind if I asked you a few questions Mrs...? "

"It's Mrs. Peters....oh, not at all. I wouldn't mind" She said, giving him her full attention. " I would try my best to help you in any way "

Joshua smiled. " I was wondering if my wife would have visited you yesterday. " this question caused a frowned to appeared on the lady's face. It made her look even older.

"I am not sure I can help you. Forgive me but I have never seen your wife before" how could she? Joshua scolded himself. Halley's time in Wessex was always spend at home. The only places she went was at Balls and his workplace. Taking a deep breathe, he started describing his wife's appearance that tragic evening. In his attempt to jog the woman's memory.

Mrs. Peters green eyes brighten. " Oh my I remembered her!" This caused Joshua's heart to beat frantically with anticipation. " how lucky you are to have such lovely wife! "

"Did you saw anything strange that evening? Or where she went after visiting you?" He asked, with haste, growing a bit impatient the longer she took to answer.