Chapter 59

Joshua stopped as he reached the entrance of the balcony.  Outside, was without an lantern on the walls or the railings, his eyes sort to adjust to the darkness, only the dim moonlight that peeked from between the clouds it was trapped in, had given him the advantage of spotting the edge of the golden hem of Halley’s gown. It sparkled under the light, one that could be spotted from a distance. It wasn’t the lack of lighting that had caused him to hesitate but the sobs he heard coming from her. Was that man abusive towards Halley? His hands balled in a fist, rage burn through him like a campfire. It did not matter if she had forgotten about him and moved on, he would protect Halley. First, he needed to speak to her.

Halley sat cuddled in one of the dark corners, tears streaming down her beautiful face. She tried to muffle her sobs with her hands to keep them quiet from the guests who was just feet away inside but it was all for naught. She didn’t care anymore, everyone was dancing and enjoying each other’s company when she would always be miserable. She hugged herself trying to prevent herself from shaking rather than the bitter coldness of the night. José’s sincerity and words had shattered her and made awareness to her mistakes. She had let a decent caring gentleman walked out of her life. How many women would have been so fortunate? He was very handsome, love the children and her. A man of great value that had the king’s fondness. What more could she have asked for?Joshua?

She shook her head, Pulling the hem of her gown in her hands, it bundle at her chest and she embraced it. Joshua was gone, Halley! She need to let go of the corpse of her husband and marry another, one that was alive and have flesh. Hearing José speak so frankly what was on her own mind for a long time, caused her heart to clench even now. She was in love with a corpse. It must be a blessing and a curse not being able to visit his graveside, she fear she would have slept their day and night.

She must give the man applause for sticking with her throughout the past few weeks. She really tried to enjoy being in his company but he was not Joshua. He didn’t made her shiver with longing with just one touch. His eyes were not bright like the morning sky and made her burn with passion under his gaze. She hate comparing them both, they were different with their own likeness. The major was that, one was still breathing. Alive.

She buried her face in the bundle and sobbed. Why did she felt like she also died with him? Why didn’t she?  The thoughts of him stole her life, invaded it. He should have just take her with him and end this torture. She wanted to stop missing him…stop loving him. Needed too.

“Halley?”

“No!” Halley lifted her head. Her hands left the bundle, allowing it to pool around her once more, to cover her ears. “You are not real….just go way!”

Joshua took a step backwards, his outreached hands withdrawn from touching her. Her harsh response, though it hurt, had reminded him that he must approached with caution. His fingers race through his hair. How? He inhale a deep breath, the coldness of the air seems to calm his nerves. He was supposed to be dead. Patience, was not the answer, it would only prolong the inevitable. The worst that could happen is she probably would faint or have a heart attack. His eyes widen at that last word, Christ, he didn’t came back from the dead to kill her!

Halley scrambling to her feet, broke his reverie and he watched as the shadow went to lean against the stone railings. Her eyes staring at the ground below.  “I hate you Joshua…I hate you so much!”

She hated him. She knew he was alive all this time and here? That crushed any hopes Joshua had left of them being back together. His eyebrows crunched then what she said next caused him to reel in his anger. “You’re dead, why can’t you leave me alone?” Then she sobbed even louder. “you want me to be with you, don’t you?”