Chapter 36

The weather had drastically changed.

The loud screams emitting from the child securely strapped around  him, was barely visible to the human ears as thunder cracked in the dark skies. His coat couldn't shield her from the showers of rain. Lord Fisher had been riding for a couple of hours, with know destination in mind. He couldn't take the child home with him, that would cause to much gossips. He had enough to deal with already. His heels kicked into the side of the tired horse urging it to gallop faster. Lord Fisher sighed with relieved when he stumbled upon a small village. His hands tighten around the horse's reins, as he trod through the ghostly village, all the houses were engulfed with darkness. He took a moment to check on the shivering child against him. Her frighten brown eyes bore through his soul. Vanishing all thoughts of regret. How could he have let the French take such an innocent child? It was wrong to kidnapped her  from her family in the first place but he had a change to make things right.

"Don't worry little one, you're safe"  The reply he got was another torturing scream. She never screamed like that when she was left alone in his cabin, on the ship. It's like she knew the dangers if she did. His heart raced a few miles when he saw light glowing in a house that was an ridiculous distance from the others.

Rachel  placed the second batch of cupcakes on the table before rushing to the door. " I'm coming John! You would wake Timothy! "  She had been waiting anxiously for his arrival, this dreadful weather was not safe for anyone to be out in.

Lord Fisher heard the latch of the door opening, he was then greeted by smiling blue eyes before they suddenly turned into shock ones. " Please miss I mean you know harm". He placed his foot between the door  preventing it from closing.

" No go away! " She screamed, trying her best to close the door.

"  I only need someplace warm to stay"  when he didn't get any answer he continued. " if not for me but for the child ?"  The struggling stopped and her blue eyes Pierce through the crack in the door. Lord Fisher lifted his coat, revealing the little girl.

Rachel gasped at the  drenched child. " Are you bloody mad!"  Lord Fisher's eyebrows rose with shock, as he was pulled inside the house. " Give her to me now!"

" A rope!"  She shook her head with disapproval.

Lord Fisher  must admit he was against using the rope but at least it kept her safe on horseback. Droplets of water  slid of the child's milked coloured skin as he placed her in Rachel's arms. She rushed to the drawing room ,leaving him to follow. Lord Fisher met the lady kneeling in front of the fire place, stripping the little one out of  her wet clothes. Her cries have suddenly stopped and her brown eyes stared strangely at the woman.

" Aren't you a beautiful girl" Rachel cooed, rubbing the towel against her curly hair. " such a pity that your father is a total cad" her forehead creased at the printed rope marks around her tiny body.

Lord Fisher cleared his throat, causing the lady to slightly jump. " You can have a seat" she swept a hand towards the vacant chair. " I'm afraid you and your daughter wouldn't be leaving very soon."
Lord Fisher stiffed uncomfortably in the chair. Of course she thinks he is the father. He pinched the bridge of his nose. " when I'm finished getting the little one some dry clothes. I'll make us some tea" she rose to her feet. Lord Fisher sigh as he watched her retrieving form. Tea means conversation and with conversation comes questions.

Soon the drawing room became uncomfortably warm even though the village was battling some cold winds. He smiled at the view in front of him. He didn't need anymore confirmation that this lady was the perfect person to be the child's mother. Lord Fisher loved the way her blue eyes smiled loving at the little girl, who was greedily devouring her warm milk. The way she had wrapped her so securely in the blanket, the way she moved, so confidently.