Chapter 10

Halley lay awake patiently waiting for her husband to leave the estate. It's been a week since they have married and every night he would leave about the same timing and come back before sunrise. Except on the two days she had place pepper in his soup having him swollen like a pumpkin, hence confined to the manor. Jennifer had helped her by finding out from her husband, David. What Joshua was allergic to. It was pure fun watching him swollen like a pumpkin.

Tonight she was sure he would grace the night with his presence. She sat upright abruptly as she heard the latch on her husband's bedchamber door unlock hearing his footsteps descending the stairs she exited her room and Followed him.

"My lady what are you doing out here?" The stable hand asked with a shock expression.

"I need a horse saddle this instant. " the stable boy stare at Halley bewildered, scratching his head.

"Now!" Halley shouted in annoyance. The night was cold and crisp she pull her cloak tighter scanning through the stable. It was her first time in here and she felt uncomfortable everything was scattered on the ground and she knew it wasn't safe for the worker or the horses.

"What's your name?" She question, taking the horse from the young boy.

"My name is peter miss" he reply softly.

The boy reminded him of her brother Timothy, minus the timidness and bad hair cut." Well Peter ,I'll be having a word with you tomorrow and don't tell anyone of this." Halley said sternly as she swung herself onto the black stallion.

Pulling the cloak over her head she gallop out the stable in track of her husband Leaving a very frighten Peter behind.

***

"Joshua thought you wouldn't make it being married an all." A stouty old man chuckled as he entered the pub.With much distaste Joshua screwed up his face as he paid no attention to the man.

Taking a seat at the far corner in the pub away from prying eyes he waited for his friend. His hand ran through his lovely silky hair as he sigh.

" What would you be having handsome?" A young waitress question him seductively. Her dirty blond hair fell over her shoulders and the dress she wore showed too much skin.

" How about a plate of your dashing self?" Interposed Lord bark,winking at her. Emitting a blush from the lady. David rolled his eyes at the display before taking a seat." Whiskey would do please"

The waitress went to make their order and Lord Bark didn't stop staring until she was out of sight." David why is he here?" Joshua asked in disbelief.

" Now look Joshua, I know we have our differences but just hear me out,I need your help." Lord Bark chimed in sternly getting straight to the matter.

Joshua chuckled sarcastically. "Why would I help you with anything? "

"Josh please hear him out it's important" David pleaded knowing the disagreement between the two. Seeing the stubbornness in his friend's eyes he pressed on." It's about your father."

This got Joshua's attention and he suddenly sat up straight. " What about him?"

David look at Lord Bark encouraging him to speak. Lord Bark clear his throat as he began." I'm looking for someone on behalf of the king.Your father might have some knowledge of the person and I need your help finding it out-"

The waitress came with the drinks cutting Lord Bark off.

"You're asking me to investigate my Father?" Lord Joshua said in astonishment.

"Not exactly" David interposed.

You see your father and his cousin was in the British army fighting against the Spaniards, who was also at war with the French. During the war the British got their hands on the Spanish King's daughter. A baby who they saw as leverage. They were about to give the baby to the French but she went missing the same time your father's troops were sent home." Lord Bark drank his whiskey as he stare at a pensive Joshua.