Chapter 34

The Admiral had just entered into his house, when his butler appeared in the foyer. He had just came back from an unsatisfactory game with the cards. Tiredness was an understatement to described his physical state. He needed sleep. To forget the amount of money he lost today. "Barry I would be retiring to my room for the rest of the evening"

" A letter for you, sir. " the Admiral stopped on his way to staircase, With a frustrated groan he turned facing his Butler.

" Who sent it?"

" It does not have a seal, sir" the Admiral couldn't tell if Barry was frowning or it was just the wrinkles at his forehead. " however, the messenger did say it's a matter of urgency."

" Don't they always" he muttered under his breath, taking the letter from the Butler. " I'll read it upstairs "

" Very good sir" the Admiral watched as he give a shaky bow before retrieving. Was he that cruel to have Barry still working in his last years...or even days? He was one of the best Butler's in Wessex if not the whole of London. He never complained, never gossip, everyone respects him. The admiral rubbed a sudden ache in his chest. Guilt?

" Barry, don't you think it's time for you to retire?"

Barry stopped and smirked at him. " I'll rest enough when I'm dead. Don't fear about me, its a pleasure to serve your honorable family. I'll do it till the end."

The Admiral give a weak smile before taking the stairs at a leisurely pace. He was getting to old for this type of lifestyle. Maybe he need to retire? Let someone take care of him for once unlike Barry he wasn't going to wait until he is dead. Where's the fun in that?

He entered his room with a sigh, sitting on his comfortable bed. He tore opened the letter, stiffing a yarn he focus on its content. His eyes widen at what he was reading. The men he had hired were dead! Fortunately, one still lived to send him a message. Something doesn't seems right. Why would Joshua send his wife into town when he knew the dangers? Or did he? Fury burn within him. " That lying son of a...... "He crumbled the letter in his hand before bolting out his bedchamber.

"Barry I need my horse now! "

*****
It had been at least half an hour since, they were kidnapped. The rain had seized pouring. Jennifer's tears did not. This was the last thing on her mind, she expected to happened today. She was cold, wet and frustrated! Not to mentioned being tossed like an object across the wobbling carriage. If these men didn't kill her, the ride would. " I just want to go home! " she screamed, desperately trying to free herself from the tight ropes. Her wrist began to hurt and a whimper escaped her trembling lips.

Her eyes traveled to Halley's unconscious body. If only she would awake. Judging from the fact that they didn't bother to bond her hands and feet. She wasn't going to anytime soon. " please god help me " she sobbed, just as the she went flying across the carriage.

"Jennifer....is that you?" Halley feebly whispered.

Jennifer's blurry eyes shot opened. " Halley! " she eased towards her. " Halley it's me wake up!"

" Why I'm I so weak? " even opening her eyes was difficult. " my head hurts." She groaned.

" Halley we have been kidnapped! you need to get up and untie me!"

Halley began to sobbed, she remembered what transpired. This was all her fault, following that little girl should have never happened. Why did she had to get in trouble on her first time in town? How she wished, she had stayed at home. " I'm sorry Jenny! I shouldn't have strayed!"

"Halley stop it this isn't you fault!" She turned her back facing Halley. " Now untie me" slowly Halley pry herself in a sitting position and began fumbling with the ropes.