Chapter Twenty-Six.

Despite his best friend being gone, Prompto couldn't help but feel the overwhelming happiness that was waking up in the morning to see Kiara next to him. 

It had been a few months since their first kiss together, the action simultaneously starting their relationship in the age of darkness. The woman was hardly shy about her affections for him either, constant teasing, constant kissing.

 Not that he was complaining. 

The longer Prompto had with her, the more he felt himself falling further in love with her if it was even possible. Their first night together had been soon, little more than a month of officially being together may have been considered too early under normal circumstances; but they had known each other for a good long while and she wanted nothing more to share everything with him. 

Of course, Not everything was always sunshine and rainbows with those two. They had arguments, mostly over silly things and safety out in the wild where the demons now ruled the endless nights.

They both knew it was silly too, neither would go bed to angry, neither would go to bed without an apologising kiss to settle themselves. Prompto's favourite sight was hard to choose, whether it be seeing Kiara pant after a vigorous battle with a demon or seeing her open her eyes after a night of pleasure; still, nothing would ever compare to her.

Prompto loved how he could confide in her. Now that Gladio and Ignis had gone their separate ways, he was glad to still have her to talk to, glad to know he wasn't completely alone even though sometimes he felt it, missing Noctis more on certain days. 

Hammerhead had completely become a settlement for hunters and demon killers alike, Cindy still worked there with her occasional visits to Cid, who had gone to Lestallum with most of the civilian population of Eos. 

Prompto and Kiara had their own little place in Lestallum as well, it was only small, and held nothing more than the essentials for a world in darkness, but it was home even if they spent most of their time, fighting demons. 

More months passed and still no sign of Noctis returning from the crystal. Prompto and Kiara had even had time to journey to Vitacelare to explain the current state of darkness to Nyx and the people. Prompto, though having Kiara's heart fully, still worried about the presence of Nyx, even though he had nothing to be worried about. 

The people were the same, he worried about what they think of their Queen being with someone like him, but when he was introduced as her partner; the people rejoiced. Kids looked up at him in awe of being the holder of the Queen's heart, Looked at him thinking he was special, worthy. 

In all the celebrations, in all the people's happiness at just his mere introduction...He felt special. Even as they prepared to depart a few weeks later, Kids were crying, Mothers were waving, grandmothers supplying 'the new king' with hugs.

''They called me their king,'' Prompto mumbled on the boat ride back, sitting next to Kiara as she drove. 

''They were just excited,'' Kiara replied with a smile. ''It's a big thing when a Queen finds someone to love.''

''But I'm not a King right?!'' He asked loudly, panicking slightly and she could see it on his face. ''I mean, I'm - I don't - I can't-''

Kiara laughed, thoroughly amused. ''No, no. Don't worry. There's still a certain something missing before you can be called a king officially.'' she explained, holding up her hand and wiggling her fourth finger. ''Anyway, You still have a lot to learn, as do I. Which is why I've left Nyx in charge until...the day I'm ready.'' 

Prompto breathed a sigh of relief. ''Oh good. I wouldn't know the first thing about ruling a kingdom.'' 

''I know.'' Kiara grinned, teasing him again which always led to him trying to defend himself. But she could still tell that, ready or not, The idea of being a king of an entire island kingdom was scaring him. Though in the future months, Kiara would come to find it wasn't scaring him to the point where he would leave her to avoid it. 

A whole year passed since Noctis's disappearance into the crystal, still no sign of his return. Kiara and Prompto had seen little of Ignis and Gladio in the year, but they'd all hung out with each other at least once every couple of months. 

Kiara was immensely proud of the progress Ignis had made with his blindness, With the exception of a few stumbles here and there still, it was almost as though Ignis was never blind in the first place... but she was still working on trying to restore his eyesight. 

For some reason, restoring ocular nerves was more difficult than bringing someone back from the dead. At this point, she realised it would have been easier to bring a dead Ignis back with his sight than trying to restore the sense alone. 

Two more years passed without Noctis, without the sun. As much as she sometimes hated the heat of the Eos sun, it provided comfort and rest from the demons, she missed sunlight dearly. Prompto was her only ray of sunshine to cling to, his smile always brightened her day no matter how dark it was. 

She would need it as she stared down at what was in her hands with wide eyes. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

=)))