Chapter Twenty Seven

A month since she found out. 

A month since Prompto had realised something was wrong with his girlfriend of three years.

A month of excuses and 'I'm fine's'

She was not fine. She was far from fine and both of them knew it. Prompto wanted nothing more than to know, to help her somehow but she couldn't find the words to say it. 

''Pigeon.'' Prompto said gently, quietly as to not startle her. She was sat silently on a chair near the caravan, still going over her thoughts and how to say the words and as she heard his voice call her nickname out to her in that worried and gentle tone, she closed her eyes. He deserved to know, just how would she do it? ''Please, tell me what's wrong.'' 

Kiara lifted her head, turning it to face him and patting her thighs in silent question. Prompto came around to kneel in front of her, tilting his head up to stare into her eyes and waited patiently for to speak. 

''I-'' She tried to speak, going silent again without the words to say. She cleared her throat and tried again, finding more words this time. ''There's this thing, you should know. I'm not overly sure how to say it though.'' 

Prompto shifted closer on his knees, lifting his hands and placing them on her thighs, on her hands. ''You know you can tell me anything. It's been three years! no use getting shy now!'' he smiled, giving a light laugh. 

Kiara smiled too, only for a moment though as she turned her eyes downwards to his hands. Glancing up at his smiling face for a second before grabbing his hands in hers gently...

and placing them on her stomach. 

The reaction was slow, Prompto's eyes darted from her face to her stomach and repeating while scrunching his face in confusion. She gave an amused huff when he still didn't get what she was trying to say, ''Something up with your stomach? You were throwing up quite a bit a few -'' 

He silenced as the realisation hit him ''Really?'' he whispered it, afraid she might say no and tell him of a different ailment. Kiara nodded slowly, thankful that she didn't have to say the words, she was still only young and quite scared.

The audible exhale from her lover was one of awe as he looked at her stomach and smiled, removing his hands and curling his arms around her waist to pull her closer on the chair she sat on.  ''Hi baby.'' She could hear him whisper, his forehead pushed against her stomach. ''I'm gonna love you so much.'' 

The next day still under darkness is when Ignis and Gladio come to visit as Cindy asked for extra help. Kiara and Prompto were unaware of the two men's presence as they spoke about the baby and how everything was going to turn out. 

''You get weirder each time we visit, Prompto,'' Gladio said, approaching with Ignis and referring to the kiss Prompto had given Kiara's stomach. 

Prompto grinned as he turned Kiara to face them, Wrapping his arms around her from the back and sprawling his hands across her belly. ''I think I'm allowed to kiss my baby goodbye before we go out to hunt, Gladio.'' 

''You are with child?'' Ignis asked, his head tilting to the side slightly. ''Would hunting be wise in this situation.'' 

''We made a deal.'' Kiara explained. ''I still get to hunt for the next two months before I take my leave from the demon hunting.'' 

''Makes sense.'' Gladio laughed. ''Can't keep you out of the battles for long, can we?'' The four had little time to talk before Kiara and Prompto went in different directions from Hammerhead for their hunts. It was always the same, hardly any time was spent as the group they used to be, they would see each other for all of five minutes before they all separated again.