A Game Called Jealousy [Part One]

May 30, 2009

I can feel myself coming out of the wonderful, empty depths of unconsciousness, feeling more rested and refreshed than I have in days. Weeks. Months. Ever. I'm just so comfortable and content wherever I am that I don't want to get up yet, and so I snuggle closer to the warmth surrounding me. I sense a familiar presence, but in the state I am in, I don't even care as long as I stay in this blissful warmth.

I don't think anything of it at all actually until I try stretching and suddenly feel rather constricted. Realizing this, my eyes finally snap open, squinting in the bright morning light that's leaking through the windows until everything comes into focus. I swear in this moment, I am still as a statue. My heart is pounding, breath quickening, palms sweating.

The source of heat that I've been snuggling all night, the thing that kept my awful nightmares at bay,is none other than Jace Levett. Looking down at our bodies, I notice a few things. Our legs are entwined, one of mine trapped between his, and our hips are pressed tightly together. Then my head is rested in the crook between his neck and shoulder (rather comfortably, surprisingly) and my hand is laid gently on his rising and falling chest. A cute image all together.

I glance up at him and can't help but smile at how tranquil he looks when he sleeps, with his slightly fluttering lashes, and his mouth open ever so slightly allowing me to hear a faint, but adorable snore. I also can't help but smile,because this is the first time I've gotten to wake up next to him without him taking off right away or before I even wake up.

He'll probably dislike the fact that we slept together like this, so I decide to enjoy it while it lasts, since I can't get up without disturbing him anyways. Giving him a light peck on the chin, I snuggle back into him and inhale his oh-so-familiar and comforting scent. I've missed this more than I care to admit.

With my eyes shut I can focus on the rhythmic beating of Jace's heart.

Thump, thump. Thump, thump.

I know it sounds ridiculously corny, but it has to be the most beautiful sound I've ever heard.

After a while, another sound breaks through the silence, followed by a different kind of thumping. That certainly isn't coming from Jace, because I feel him stir awake as well, obviously having been startled by the out of place noise. I tilt my head up and see him looking down at me with--to my shock--acute, happy, sleepy smile. It's enough to put my worried thoughts aside and melt my previously cold heart and makes me return the sweet smile.

The sound of someone clearing their throat has us both jumping apart slightly and looking at the figure standing at the end of the sofa. Charlie.

"Charlie? What are you doing here?" Jace asks, still not unwrapping his arms from around me.

I blush fiercely when I look up into Charlie's dark, mahogany coloured eyes, glaring at me steadily.

"Sorry to interrupt, but Grams let me in," Charlie says, daggers for eyes switching from me to Jace and back again. "You never answered my call last night."

I hear Jace sigh and sit up more, still keeping one arm loosely around my hip. It's as if he thinks I'm going to just up and run away from him. Well, not going to lie, I considered it. It's still a tempting idea, but I don't have the strength to pull away from his embrace.

"I'm sorry, we were watching movies and fell asleep," Jace speaks so nonchalant, it's as if he can't see that Charlie is only just holding back from murdering me.

"Oh, really? I couldn't tell," he sneers, rolling his eyes.

I begin sitting up, deciding that I should leave Jace to work this out with Charlie without my presence to complicate things. Just as I'm pulling away though, I feel his arms ensnare my waist and pull me back, clinging almost...desperately? Does he really think I'll just go back to ignoring him and hating him after how he treated me last night? No way in hell do I have the heart to do that now.