The Beginning of Something

May 9, 2009

I've been at Jace's for a few days now. Although, you wouldn't think so seeing as I haven't warmed up to anyone, or left my room for that matter. I'm embarassed and afraid and I feel so lost in life and I know I'm expected to do something, but I just don't know what. Jace brings me meals, and I try to eat, but everything comes back up--as usual. He worries that I'm getting too thin--I tell him to forget about it and to just act like I'm not here. I don't plan to stick around long, I just need time to get a job and find a cheap place to crash at night.

A light knock on the door alerts me that supper has come once again.

"Can I come in?" Jace asks politely.

"It's your house," I mumble back.

The door creaks open slowly and a smiling Jace walks into the dark room holding a tray with a plate of whatever him or his grandma has made. When he sits it down I look, sniffing the air slightly, and my mouth waters. Home made roast beef and a sliver of pumpkin pie.

"This is..." I begin.

"Your favourite. I remembered you mentioning it last week when we first hung out," he finishes for me.

I stare at the delicious food in awe. He remembered that? Something so insignificant about me? I feel almost guilty that I don't remember much of what he told me about himself. I make a note to try and repay him for all he's done for me before I--you know--disappear.

"Thanks. Why though? You didn't have to," I tell him.

He gives me a small smile and shakes his head. "Yes, I did. You need to start eating right and I figured your best chance would be to eat something you love."

I feel a little ache in my chest and attempt to give him a smile in return, but we both know it's forced. He doesn't say anything else, just leaves me to eat my meal in peace. I like that he respects my space, unlike most people. Many would have forced me out of my shell by now, asked me what's wrong, gotten mad at me for not eating, possibly even kick me out.

I take my first bite and my taste buds are in heaven; it tastes better than anything I've had in god knows how long. My stomach tightens at the sensation of being filled, but relaxes enough for me to try a second bite. I chew it until I'm sure it's soft enough that it won't make me gag and I manage to get it down as well. After that I manage to get a third and even a fourth bite down, and I smile at my progress. This is the most I've managed to eat in weeks. I want to sincerely thank Jace for being so helpful. I decide to leave my room for the first time since I arrived, using the excuse of wanting to clear out my own dishes.

As I creep out into the hallway I hear hushed voices coming from down the hall; I believe the kitchen? It's wrong to spy--I know, but I'm curious as to why they would be so hush hush in their own home. The only explanation would be that they are talking about something they don't want me to hear, and that worries me. So, carefully I tip-toe, trying to walk tight against the wall to avoid creaky floor boards, and press myself against the wall next to the kitchen door and listen closely.

"You need to do something about that boy," The older woman sighs.

"I know grams, I'm just trying to help him."

"I'd say I can't afford to feed you both, but he doesn't even eat!" She says in hushed exasperation.

Jace sighs sadly and it makes me frown. "He's had a rough time and I'm just making sure he doesn't end up on the streets. What if it were me, grams?"

Maybe I should just leave now, it would be best for everyone; I'm only causing them trouble. That way Jace won't be burdened by me any longer and his grams can stop worrying about the stranger in her home. I sigh and begin to turn around, until I hear Jace say one last thing.