Jealousy and honesty

May 24, 2009 (Later that night)

I honestly don't know what to expect of Zoe's family, and while I'm nervously trying to prepare myself, my brain keeps fumbling around with thoughts of Jace and how he looked walking out of the book store. I hope I didn't hurt him. I probably did. Wouldn't be Kai Harkins if I didn't hurt everyone I care about.

"Kai?" Zoe asks, snapping me out of my self-hating thoughts.

I shake my head clear and look at her. "Yeah, sorry. What were you saying?"

"Just that my dads can be a bit... in your face. So, just be yourself and you'll fit right in--mostly," She says with a little laugh.

I smile at her and quickly drop my gaze to the ground, watching my feet shuffle along. I don't want to disappoint Zoe and ditch her, but at the same time, I really want to run back home and ask Jace a million and one questions. Hell, there's been so much tension between us the past couple days that I need to ask him if he's feeling as strange as I am. This can't be normal. It must be wrong. I'm bullied and beaten daily for being a "fag" or "queer" or "gay", whichever you prefer, I've been called them all.

"This is it," Zoe says, pulling me by the arm through the front door of a cute, little brick house with green shutters.

Inside is rather pretty and modern, yet it gives a sense of 'home' that not many houses truly possess. I am caught up looking at adorable photos of what must be little Zoe with her dads. She was even a cutie when she was little. Same pixie features, small frame, and big happy, brown eyes. I smile and point. "Awe, Zo you were adorable."

"Oh shush! Come on, my parents are in the den," She tells me as I follow her down the little hall and to the right where I am presented with a small room with two couches facing a TV mounted on the wall.

Zoe walks in and is instantly greeted with smiles and a kiss on the cheek from her dads. They're rather attractive men, I have to admit. One is taller with sandy blonde curls that fall into his light green eyes occasionally. His cheeks are sprinkled with faint freckles and his features are rather smooth and soft. The shorter man is similar to myself in looks. Dark, straight brown hair,dark eyes, and bit slimmer than the average male. However, his skin is rather pale and he has small pink lips that curve into a smile even when he isn't really smiling and his nose is sharper than mine.In all honesty, they're adorable together. Looking at them gives me a sort of longing feeling and I can't seem to understand why. Or maybe I do. I don't know anymore.

"So this is the boy we've been hearing so much about?" The blonde one says, looking over at me standing awkwardly in the door frame.

I nod and smile slightly, not really sure what to do.

"Well, don't just stand there silly, come sit!" The shorter one says to me with a welcoming gesture.

I make my way across the room, trying not to trip as I go, and take a seat next to Zoe. They introduce themselves to me. The blonde is Rhys (pronounced Reese), and the brunet is Kyle. It doesn't take me very long to warm up to them,they're very lovely people and not at all what I expected. Kyle and Rhys are nothing like the stereotypical gay television likes to portray. They are not really flamboyant, and don't talk about girly things or even dress feminine.They look and act like any other guy. The only thing that proves they're gay, is the way they hold each other and look into one another's eyes, and the kissing of course. I find them sweet and I like that they're so open about their relationship.

"So, tell us about yourself, Kai! You've heard us blab on enough about ourselves," Kyle says with a happy smile.

My heart pounds. I never like being asked about myself. Mostly because there's nothing good to tell.