broken people

The following Friday Freddy was doing some family stuff and the twins were also making an appearance at their house. Cam was sleeping in my bed and Evie and I were reading in the living room when a package was delivered. 

At the same moment she got the notification on her phone. "Yes," she said, looking at it and getting up. "Perfect. Okay, you'll need to help me."

She got the box off the porch and tore it open. It contained a belt. "Oh," I said. "Ohhh."

"Last piece of my Harley Quinn accessories," she said with satisfaction. She was currently wearing some anime get up but she immediately began unpinning her purple wig. "We have enough time."

I followed her up to Cam's room where she stored costume stuff, and she opened one of the chests to reveal all the items. "This is awesome," I said. "Even the fucking bat?" I pulled out an authentic Good Night replica. "Very nice. Were you able to find the boots?"

She gave me a look.  

"Of course you were." I pulled everything out and laid it on Cameron's bed. "Okay, go de-anime so we can get this party started."

She disappeared to remove her makeup and came back looking about fifteen as usual. "The makeup's the thing," she said with satisfaction, looking forward to it.

"Challenge accepted?"

"Oh yes." She turned on the lights around the mirror that Hadley had wanted for her own makeup. Evie and Hadley were always the ones who loved makeup, whereas Freak and I could take it or leave it most of the time other than a usual minimum coverage. 

Hadley was everywhere in the room because none of us wanted to take away anything of hers.

She sat and began lining up all the things she would use. "I've wanted to do her for awhile," she said, propping up her laptop with a close up of Harley Quinn's face when she first gets dressed in her iconic outfit.

"Me, too," I said with a grin, not missing another opportunity to talk about doing Margot Robbie, and she shook her head at me.

"How's it going with Mara?" She began expertly painting her blank canvas of a face. I lay on the bed on my stomach and watched her, fascinated as always.

"What, speaking of doing chicks?" I thought about the night before, where we'd spent three hours at her house alone, naked for most of the time. "Well," I said, my cheeks hot.

"Are you going to let her in our house at any point?" she gently teased me, letting me know she was okay with it.

"I guess," I said. "You know how it is."

"I do." She began putting blue on the other eye. "Coming up on the fourteenth."

"I know," I said, dreading it so much. A week away. Not that the days leading up to it weren't almost as bad. "And the sixteenth." When her parents had died.

"I hate this effing month," she said, going back to the first eye with her black liner. It was the closest she came to swearing.

"Hell month."

Three years ago on this date everything was still okay. Two years ago, Hadley was enduring her last days, trying to survive to the one she felt she had to make it to.

I tried to shake off the thoughts. "What about you and Freddy?"

She smiled a little. "It's weird. It's like he's getting to know us all over, getting to know me, but somehow it goes both ways." She shot me with a finger. "Like you."