reunited

When I went back downstairs, everyone was there, including Freddy.

"Norm!" they all said, except for Evie, who was saving her verbal energy, and Freddy, who apparently didn't recall the joke from the old show.

Evie was dressed as Alice from the newest version of Looking Glass, complete with long green skirt and the incredible purple jacket from the movie. She rarely repeated a costume and this was the first we'd seen of this Alice. Once she had been original Alice from the animated Disney movie, with the blue dress and black headband and white tights.

Modern Alice by Tim Burton was a different ballpark in a different universe. The jewels on the top of the jacket were mesmerizing. She had on a blond wig, which looked perfectly real as they all did.

I couldn't help but tease her. "Should I be on the lookout for a white rabbit to complete this ensemble? Dancing tea cups? I could get my flamingo for a game of croquet?"

Evie just smirked at me in combination response and greeting.

"Hey, look; I joined the party," Freddy said, delighted. I was pretty happy to see him there too. It felt better, even if it was all new to him.

"Hooray," I said, sitting on the couch next to Cam, who had Evie at his feet and Bowser on his other side. I always thought he should be called Benji, since he looked exactly like the dog in the old movies, but nooo.

The twins were sitting on the floor, controllers in their hands.

"And I heard you have an affinity for strawberry wine coolers," he said, producing one from his bag.

I had to smile. "I do, thanks."

"Evie said you can read a book in like two hours. That's crazy. I keep learning all these like super powers about everyone."

"Yes, well, we are accelerated," I said a little wryly.

"It's awesome." He pulled out a bottle of dark ale and handed it to Mo. Evie already had a strawberry soda and Cam a cream one.

"Fuckin' Freddy. Great to have you home, fam," Freak said, putting down her controller since she was done beating her brother.

I was pretty sure he let her win most of the time. For his own safety. I mean, I did.

"Freak. Sit," I ordered her, pointing at my feet. "Your hair is atrocious." I eyed Mohammed. "Don't go far; you're next."

Freddy looked at me in frank admiration. "You talk to her like that?" He held out an orange soda in a bottle for her. She took it with a nod.

"Pffft," I said, carelessly. "I mean, yeah, she's like having a were-creature; I'm pretty sure she's not going to bite me, so it's worth it to live with the constant danger." Because she's exotic and magical and untouchable and when she trusts you, you win at life.

"I swear to God," she said, shaking her head.

"A were-creature that changes unexpectedly at whim," Cam added. "And that can and possibly will kill you, but you're damned fond of it anyway. Oh and also, it's possibly rabid. Possibly and plausibly."

He'd produced his notepad and was drawing something I couldn't see. He usually used a superfine black felt marker and it's what he held now.

"Fuck both of you," she said, yawning. She had a crossword puzzle book and was filling it out methodically, also in ink. She didn't make mistakes. "Ugh, my fucking teeth hurt. Seriously, what fresh hell is this."

When I was done taking the french braid out and combing it into soft fluff, I gently shoved her shoulder. "I got a new bottle of your shampoo."

Mostly because I loved the rose smell, which in turn I mostly loved because it was her scent. All of which Cameron knew, and he studiously did not look at me or smile. Good people, Cam.