Chapter Thirty-seven

Letting out a small sigh I know that when she uses the "Mom" card that there's no getting out of it. I'm sure one day that Kara is going to be a fabulous Mother, but until then she should quit using those on me. I'm not practice for her. Shaking the thoughts away I quickly reply, "Well it's 5:23 pm right now and don't you guys have dinner at 5:30?"  

She laughs as if I told a funny joke, "That leaves you with plenty of time to come over for dinner. You know we don't mind waiting a few minutes if we need to." Rolling my eyes at her words I tap my fingers on the carpet of my room.

"Please Alex?"
"Kara I think that I'm just going to stay here for tonight. Maybe tomorrow?"
"Fine, I didn't want to have to do this to you, but I'm coming over."

"What? Why?"
"Because I can now see that if I don't there's no way that you are coming over to my house for dinner."

Letting out a small laugh I say, "Oh, Kara you don't need to do that for me-"

"Oh, but I insist. In fact I'm already in my car heading over there as we speak. I'll see you soon."

The call is suddenly ended leaving me to stare at my phone. I swear Kara acts more like a Mom than my own Mother does. Shaking my head I know that if I'm not ready by the time she gets over here she's going to be mad. Standing up I stretch my arms upwards. Today has been a very long day and all I want to do is sleep. I think while putting my phone in my pocket.

Unlocking the door to my room I walk out into the living room. Sitting down on the couches I gaze at the mess we call a home. It's insane how messy this house got with Mother gone for two weeks and to think that it was mostly Father's fault. Of course I didn't contribute very much as I have been non existent the past few days.

A knocking on the front door brings me out of my thoughts. Kara was awfully quick. I think while standing up. Walking over to the front door I throw it open only to see Jared.

"What are you doing here?" I ask surprised, but rather than answering my question he wraps his arms around me in a tight hug. Hugging him back I feel him tighten his grip on me as though I'll disappear at any moment.

"What's wrong?"
"I've been calling and texting you, but you didn't respond to any of it. I've been worried sick." Pulling away from the hug he holds me at arm's length. A smile takes over his face as he breathes out a sigh of relief.

"I'm sorry Jared. I've been ignoring everyone for the past few days..."
"How are you doing? Is there anything that I can do for you?"
I smile at his kind words only to notice that the lines around his eyes are slightly wrinkled with worry.

"I'm doing... better."

"That's great. I'm glad to hear that you're doing a little bit better. Especially after last time we talked."

"Yeah, me too."

"Listen Ally. There's something I need to talk to you about. It's very important."

My gaze shifts from his face to over his shoulder as I see Kara's car pull up. With a tight smile I say, "Sure, look I've got to go."
"Wait, Alexandria this is important. Okay?"

Giving him an apologetic smile I walk out of the house shutting the door behind me as I do so. Walking down the steps I call over my shoulder, "Sorry Jared. We'll talk tomorrow. Okay?"

Seeing Kara's car I open the passenger's door before getting inside. Shutting it behind me I hear her let out a small gasp in surprize.

"Oh, I was about to text you that I was here." She gives me a knowing look causing me to roll my eyes before pulling the seat belt over my lap and clicking it in.