Chapter Eighteen

Walking back home I try the front door to find it unlocked. What the heck is going on here? I tried the door and it was clearly locked earlier, yet it's currently unlocked. The door groans as it slowly reveals a messy house. Looking behind me I don't see my Father's car in the driveway. Taking a cautious step forward I into the house my footsteps like bombs hitting the battlefield.

Unspoken words lump in my throat as the house shifts before settling. I force myself to softly close the door behind me as my thoughts are racing. Did someone break in? What should I do investigate or call the cops?

Reaching into my back pocket I come up empty. Where's my phone? Checking my other pocket I find that one is empty as well. Where could I have left it? I suppose that leaves me with the only choice to investigate... Glancing at the living room I see the fake potted plant that usually sits on the table is on the floor and in the kitchen chairs are laying across the ground or thrown down the hallway to my parents room. Standing in the middle of the hallway I look both ways. Which do I check first?

While constantly looking over my shoulder I walk towards my parents bedroom and softly push open their door. With the blinds drawn only lines of fading sunlight peek through showing the T.V. on my parents night stand that sits against the wall at the end of the bed. Clothes are thrown about with carelessness their closet door wide open. The rest of there shoes, clothes among their other possessions hide away in there. Too afraid to come out. Walking over to the bed I see Father passed out his hair a mess and shoes are still on his feet while they hang off the bed. Why wasn't his car in the driveway? Maybe he got dropped off or walked home, either way it must've been when I was talking to Jared.

There's no need for me to look any further if it's he came home. I think as I quietly turn around and walk out of there bedroom closing the door behind me I lightly walk down the hall. Gazing at the kitchen I shake my head at the mess before walking to my room. It's then I see Tori's bedroom door is open.

Forgetting my room I walk into her's shutting the door behind me. Looking around nothing seems to be out of the ordinary. Sitting down on her blue bed sheets I notice a note placed on the flat pillow. Picking it up I open the note and read the few words that are written down.

How well do you really know him?

Who is he? This could be anyone Jared, Father, or even Nicholas. How did this even get in here? The handwriting looks feminine and slightly familiar.

"Father's handwriting looks nothing like this." I mutter thinking of his chicken scratch of handwriting. Yet another note left for me to find. I shiver when suddenly something in my pocket buzzes. Surprising me I jump before realizing that it's my phone and pulling it out my pocket. I swear it wasn't there a second ago. As the phone continues to ring I slide my finger across the screen and ask hello?

"Alexandria I've been trying to get ahold of you all day." Annoyance rings through her tone and I stuff the note into my pocket before standing up off of her bed.

"What are you talking about...?" Chewing on the inside of my cheek I peek my head out into the empty hallway. Not seeing Father I make a dash for my room before closing and locking the door behind me.

"I thought you teenagers are always on your phones... Have you been ignoring me? You know it's not polite to hang out on someone and not call them back. At the very least pick up the phone when I call."

She mentions from a few days ago before I slowly say, "This is the first time that you've called me all day."

"Very funny, I know you saw that I'd been calling."

"I really didn't know that you'd been calling me." Confused I lay down on my bed and stare up at the solar system on my ceiling.

"Regardless I called because I've been informed that the police department are taking a deeper look into Victoria's case. They plan on talking to all of us again (of course once I'm back from my business trip)."

The words tumble out of my mouth, "They are?"

"Yes and I expect you fully cooperate just like the first time."

I nod my head as thoughts swirl around like a tornado; chaotic and violent.

"You hear me Alexandria?"
"Yes, Mother."

"Good. Now then I'll be back by Thursday of next week and not a moment sooner. That's only six days unsupervised. Will you be okay with William?"

Upon hearing Father's name I frown before replying with, "Six days left. Got it. I'll be okay."

There's a pause on the other end as she takes a breath before slowly letting it out.

"Goodbye."

"Goodbye." I mutter hitting the red button on my phone and setting it down on my bed. Closing my eyes I takes a slow breath in and out.

"'This will be the last trip for awhile, I promise' she had said only a few days ago. That was a lie. It seems all anyone says lately are lies. I suppose that we're all liars." I scoff as my mind soon shifts to the notes I've found, the fight with Jared, Victoria's as well as Heather's disappearance, and my fragmented memories.

The weight of the locket almost feels like a noose around my neck. As if to remind me not to let my guard down because if I do I'll end up dead. Lifting it above my head I open the locket and gaze at the two photographs; one a face that I'll forever miss and the other one that I'd rather not see ever again.

Nicholas has to be the worst boyfriend that Tori ever had. I remember at first he seemed nice and she'd spend most of her time with him. As her last year of high school was turning to a close I hardly saw her and when I did she seemed to be lost in her internal turmoil. She'd tells us bits and pieces, but nothing substantial. I mean why would she? She was so happy with him, she'd tell us most of the time.

Shaking away those thoughts I push myself into a sitting position. Grabbing my phone I look up Heather's contact information in my contacts only to find it. Why didn't I think of this before?

After clicking on message button I start to text her.

Heather where are you? Are you injured? I haven't seen you since Wednesday and I'm getting worried. I looked, but I couldn't find you anywhere. You were just- I swear that I did look for you. Please text me back soon.

After hitting the send button I wait for a reply, but all it says is Delivered. The time is currently 4:54 as I set my phone down on my desk after slumping down in the chair. Resting my head against the cool painted wood with my eyes closed.

I whisper, "Why does everyone keep leaving me?" my voice cracking at the end. Everyone close has left me. Maybe there's no point in trying to solve Tori's disappearance. Maybe Jared is right. I think as his words echo through my mind.

"I don't believe your theories because it's like the rantings of a mad man. Solving Victoria's disappearance is a job for the police department, not you."