Chapter Fourteen

Since it's Thanksgiving Break (at least for me) I thought I'd publish this chapter early for you all. -christmas6245

Air rushes into my lungs as I take another deep breath. Not wanting to open my eyes I ignore the fact that I have to get up and ready for the day. I want to stay in warm bed all day, but I know that I have to get up. Looking over at my alarm clock the red numbers inform me that it's only 8:06am. At least it's not seven in the morning. I think before forcing myself out of bed. Throwing the covers off my body I climb out and stretch. Looking around I see that sunlight seeps into my room through the cracks in the light brown blinds. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes I walk over to my bedroom door and turn the lock before changing into jeans and a Marvel tee-shirt. Folding my pajamas and putting them away I walk over to my bedroom door. Unlocking the door I slip out into the rest of the house walking quietly down the hallway.

The rest of the house feels dark as though it's asleep without any disturbances. Walking into the kitchen I grab a cup of water and soothe my parched throat. After swallowing cup after cup of water I set it aside the sink. The growling of my stomach reminds me that I haven't eaten recently. Walking over to the cabinet I pull out Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal and a bowl. After pouring some cereal into the bowl along with the milk I put away the milk and the Cinnamon Toast Crunch before grabbing a silver spoon. Sitting down I pull my bowl towards me and start eating my breakfast.

Is Father still here? I wonder as I look for his car keys only to find that they are still here. Maybe he's sleeping... Taking another spoonful of cereal into my mouth I chew thinking about what to do. If I see him should I ignore him or confront him? If I ever did confront him I don't know what I would say to him. Maybe I'd ask him why he left us or where he went. Why did he leave us when we all are affected by her disappearance? He isn't the only one hurting in this family.

Lifting my spoon for another bite milk is the only taste in my mouth. Swallowing I look down to find a bowl filled with milk. It looks like I finished by breakfast while lost in thought. Picking up the bowl I raise it to my lips before drinking the rest of the milk. Standing up out of my chair I grab my now empty bowl and set it in the overspilling sink. Taking a second look around the kitchen I see that the dishes are still piled high and the counter shows neglect of about the space of a few days. Quickly putting the dishes into the dishwasher I start the load and clean off the counter with a wet rag before washing my hands.

It looks much cleaner now I think to myself before turning around and coming face to face with my Father.

"Alexandria why are you wake so early?" He asks rubbing his temple with what only can be the beginning of a hangover from his drinking last night. Not waiting for a response he walks down the hall and to the bathroom before walking back out with a few tablets of Adevil. Putting them inside of his mouth he grabs a clean glass and fills it with water. Taking a drink he tilts his head back before swallowing.

Tapping my fingers against my thigh I reply to his early question "I just woke up early and decided to get ready for the day."

"I see." He mutters before turning away and walks to the room he shared with my Mother. Standing in the middle of the kitchen I watch as he shuts the door to the bedroom that they share. Walking to the bathroom I flick on the light before grabbing my toothbrush from its holder and set down on the counter before unscrewing the cap on the toothpaste. After putting on a decent amount I wet the toothbrush and start brushing my teeth. Once I'm done I spit and rinse setting the toothbrush back in the holder.

Turning off the light I walk into the family room needing to clear my thoughts. Which is something that the piano has always done for me. Walking towards the piano bench to the left of me. After pulling the seat out I sit down briefly thoughts of when Jared was last with me flood my mind.