Chapter Nineteen

Why am I wasting my time trying to solve this when it's clearly a job for the police department? I should have just left this all alone and never touched anything. I should've never unlocked her door... Father locked it for a reason, to keep memories from spilling out and destroying our already fractured minds. I feel a nagging thought of 'you know there is more to Tori's disappearance". Shaking away that thought I replace it with realistic ones. Jared is right, I do sound like a "madman"

Tori just disappeared and there's nothing I can do about it. I'm just a seventeen year old girl. What could I do that the police haven't already? Nothing.

The buzzing of my phone causes me to lift my head up. Letting out a small sigh I sit up while reaching for my phone. Looking at the screen I see one text message from an unknown number.

TALK TO NICHOLAS-MAY 1st.

Shivering I think about who could have my number. Maybe this is all a prank by some teenagers that go to my school or one of Tori's friends. It has to be someone that knows Nicholas... One of his friends? Quickly typing back a reply I hit send only for no response.

Who is this?

After a minute or two I text another message.

Why do I need to talk to Nicholas? What about May first?

The only text I become engraved into my mind as I stare at the five words

WHAT HAPPENED ON MAY FIRST?

Talk to Nicholas about May 1st, maybe on May 1st? May 1st is important for some reason. Why? I hate that cheating ex-boyfriend of hers! Why do I need to talk to Nicholas? What does he know?

~

"Alexandria. Are you feeling okay?" Looking from my shoes I see Kara's wide eyes focused at me as I swing my feet on the high branch that I'm currently sitting on.

"Yeah..."

"That didn't sound very convincing... Hold on, I'm coming up there so we can talks." I watch as she attempts to climb up the tree branches to where I sit.

Suddenly losing her grip she yelps out in panic as she falls backwards. Her hands desperate to grab onto anything.

"Gotcha!" A tall boy calls out as he catches Kara before setting her on the ground. I raise an eyebrow at this exchange, not that she can see it because if she could I'd possibly get a whack on the back of the head.

Kara takes a step back before she speaks, "Uh, thank you..."

His eyes light up as he looks down at her, a smirk graces his lips as he says, "My name is Jacob Byers."

"Thank you Jacob." She says before glancing down at her now dirty hands. Wiping the dirt off her hands and onto her jean knee length shorts she looks back up at him.

"You're welcome..." He uses her own tactics against her. I note as she tells Jacob her name as well.

"Well Kara it seems you are a bit clumsy. Am I wrong to assume that much?"

"No, but the real problem is that I can't climb trees like someone I know. She's like a monkey." He laughs at her words, a contagious one that begs you to join in.

Oh, gosh. Why do I always end up (unintentionally) watching attractive guys flirt with Kara? I think as I shake my head waiting for him to leave. After a few more minutes he waves goodbye before jogging off to a group of people causing Kara to turn around and attempt to climb the tree again. She persistent. A few short groans and curses later Kara sits on a branch that is just a few inches above mine.

"So as I was saying, you are not very convincing."

"I wasn't trying to be." I grumble out thinking about last night.

"What happened yesterday?"

"I just-" As I start to talk she gives a look as if to say, are-we-really-going-to-play-that-game.

"Okay, fine. I couldn't sleep at all last night and I've spent the whole night thinking."

She tilts her head to the left and asks, "What were you thinking about?"

"Nothing too important."

"It had to be important if it kept you up." She persuades the sunlight reflecting off her olive glasses as she studies me. Digging my fingernails into the bark of the tree I think about everything I know-everything I thought I knew-and how it all fell apart so quickly. The unknown person who texted me May first which I believe somehow has to do with Tori's disappearance. Looking over at her I say, "It was just some worries I had."

It was just some worries I have. Correcting myself in my mind. Kara looks at me a little longer before letting out a small sigh.

"Okay, well since we're here what do you want to do?"

Ruhl Park's playground equipment, swings, and most of the open grassy area is occupied by kids, teens, and even parents.

"I have an idea. Why don't we go back inside?" I say gesturing to my house across the street. Her lips twist to the side as if tasting something foul.

"Because you need to be outside a little more. It's unhealthy for you to be inside all the time and you need the vitamins."

As she gestures to me I frown at her.

"You're not my Mother." At my words she looks down unable to meet my gaze. Her small voice expresses her thoughts.

"I'm worried about you Alex, we all are."

She confessed that to Ethan a few days ago and Jared seem to think the same thing before he left. What do I say to 'I'm worried about you'? Thanks, I'm glad you care? Instead I settle for a, "I know."

"How'd you-"

"I've noticed how you've looked at me when you think that I'm not paying any attention. Kara, look there's no reason for you to be worried. Okay?" At my words she shakes her head, brown hair flying around as she does so.

"You say that, but I have a hard time believing it. I don't know if I can believe anything you say because you're grieving."

"Kara I'm not-"

"Yes you are. People say things when they're grieving that they don't mean. Their emotions are controlling them."
"Oh really? How's you become such an expert on this?"

"I have a cousin who is interested in psychology and becoming a therapist. Sometimes she'll share what she's learned over the years of schooling. With the "stages of grief" and I know that-"

"Stop talking as if Victoria is dead because she's not. The police are looking into her disappearance and they will find her." With the words leaving my lips I dig my fingernails further into the bark of the tree after her next words.

"And how do you know that they will find her?"