Chapter Sixteen

"Yes I am. Why do you ask?" 

"You were just spacing out there." I shrug and motion for her to continue on with her story. One that has taken a decent amount of time to tell.

"So where was I?"

"You were about to get out of the car when he called out for you to wait." I remind her drinking more of my Dr. Pepper.

"Oh yes. Thank you. I faced him and waited. He soon confessed that he misses his friend terribly even though it's been almost three years since his death. Ethan told me all about how bad he feels as though he's the reason his friend died."

"Oh, I never knew... But then again I don't think I've once heard him talk about his past and apparently living in Michigan." Crumbling my trash up into a ball I set it aside. Taking another sip of my drink I find only watered down soda. Quickly setting that aside as well I watch Kara as her brown eyes focus on something I can't see.

"I think I'm going to-"

"If you are going to say ask him on a date then-"

"Alexandria!" Kara shouts in embarrassment redness spreads across her cheeks.

"That was not what I was going to say. Not even close to that subject. Why on earth would you bring that up?" I watch as she becomes very focused on the little packets of salt left in the center of the table, unable to meet my eyes.

"Oh, I don't know maybe because you like him?"

I laugh as her head snaps up, eyes open wide as she asks, "What?"

"I know that you like him Kara, you're an open book."

She stays silent before a smile grows on her face.

"What are you surprised to hear this?"

"No, it's not that. I'm surprised that you laughed."

"Oh." I mutter to myself. I've reached a new low point that Kara is surprised that I laughed. Shaking away the thoughts I gather up my trash and throw it away. Kara looks up at me from her chair.

"Are you ready to leave?" I ask seeing as she hasn't touched her food in a while. She nods pushing her olive glasses up as the slide. Standing up she throws her food away before we walk past the line of customers and to her car. Getting in she starts and gives me a look as if to say, "you better put that seat belt on". After buckling in I notice that she already has her's buckled in. She's very cautious except when she's with Ethan. That's mostly the only time she'll take a risk.

"So where to next?" She asks causing me to look at the clock, 2:32.

"That's a good question." I say as my phone buzzes. Pulling it out I see a text from an unknown number.

This is Charlie and I thought I'd text you and let you know that I'm dropping off your car right now.

Typing back a quick reply of "Okay" I save her into my contacts.

"Kara could you actually take me home?" I ask.

Her eyes snap over to me before focusing on driving. "Yes, I can. Is everything okay?"

"Thank you and everything is fine. Something just came up that I need to be home for."

She doesn't reasons as she drives me home. All too quickly we're turning onto my street and I realize just how long it's been since Kara and I hung out. It seems that Ethan is always with her. As she pulls into my driveway she parks next to a car. My car which Charlie soon opens the door to and gets out.