Chapter Thirty-three

"What happened that night? Where were you?" At my words he becomes tense. His movement hesitant as he turns to face me as we stand alone on the sidewalk in the summer heat. Staring to walk ahead of me he says, "I'd rather not talk about it." Quickly walking forward I follow him waiting for a response.

"Why not?"

He signs taking a long drag from his cigarette.

"There are certain things that I'm trying to protect you from. Okay kid?"

I laugh looking over at him for the first time noticing a small tattoo of the words forte on his hand. I wonder what langue that it. I think before asking him, "What things?"

"Now if I told you then I'd be doing a pretty sh*tty job at protecting you from things."

"You didn't do a very good job at being a boyfriend." I mutter to myself.

"What was that kid?" He ask me as we walk. Shaking my head side to side I decide that it's best if I don't get him mad.

"Nothing."

He just shrugs it off placing his cigarette back between his lips. The sun causes my skin to prick reminding me of how hot it is outside. I can't really complain because that's summer temperature for you. Slowing down he stop me in front of a older house.

"This is it!" He exclaims as if he's just shown me the secret to becoming successful in life.

"What are we doing here?"

"This is what I wanted to remind you of. I mean-to show you."

"Okay..." The red faded brick gives the house an older look to it while two small windows on either side of the wooden door look newer. Staring at a for-sale sign hangs in the front yard I realize how familiar this house is. I've been here before, yet I cannot remember why. Turning towards Nicolas I stare to ask, "Nicholas-" Yet he cuts me off as he pulls out his phone.

"Look kid. Something just came up." Staring at the screen of his phone he frowns slightly. Pausing with my arms folded over my chest I stare at him.

"Wait-"

"I've got to go." He yells over his shoulder as he jogs far ahead of me. Leaving me behind. Standing alone in the middle of a neighborhood I watch him disappear from view. It's then that I remember the car he was leaning against and the fact that he lives close by. Where is off to? Is he going back home?

Turning away I start the walk back to my car. Words rattle inside my mind of the many unanswered questions. What was he going to show me? Why did he just run off? Where was he going? Possibly home... to whatever the problem was. What happened that night? Where were they the night she died? Memories of her and her group of friends at a party flash through my mind.

Olivia's words float into my mind causing me to pause. "You want answers about that night? Then you really should be talking to Charlie or Matthew. They were with her after Nick left unlike the rest of them."

I haven't seen Matthew at all and he was the one that accidently gave away information to the police about Victoria's case. Where could I find him at? I've never been over to his house before and it's not like Tori had a book full of her friend's addresses.

Seeing my car up ahead I jog towards it. Walking around to the drivers side I push the key in to unlock the car when the house in front of my catches my attention. That's where Charlies lives! Pulling my key out of the lock I walk around my car and up the sideway. I bet she knows where Matthew can be found. After all they are good friends.

With a slight grin on my face I race up the steps and press the doorbell. After a few seconds a very surprised Charlie answers the door.

"Oh, Alexandria. What are you doing here?"

I watch her mask her emotions while I say, "I just have a quick question for you."

Folding her arms over her chest she asks, "How do you know where I live...?"

"That's no important right now-" at my words she raises an eyebrow, "what is important is locating Matthew."

"Why?"

Shaking my head I ignore her question. "Can you please tell me where I can find him?"

"He's at the same place he's always at on Saturdays."
"And where's that?"
"Starbucks."

Turning around I yell a quick thank you over my shoulder before racing down the steps and around to the drivers side of my car. Unlocking it I get in and start the car. Putting on the seatbelt I look over my shoulder and in front of me. Seeing no cars coming I make a three-point-turn and start my drive towards Starbucks.

~

After parking my car I got out and lock it. Taking a deep breath I look towards the coffee house that Matthew should be inside of. If by any chance that he's not then I'm three steps back. Walking around a few adults who are in a hurry to move on with their lives I grasp the warm handle and pull towards me. The cool air greets me as I walk in the door shuts behind me.

Looking around I see a decently sized line of people waiting to order. A barista gives the man ordering a strained smile as the people behind him being to complain. It's a good thing I'm not getting any coffee. I think turning my attention to the seating area. A few couples sit together talking while there are a few loners. Walking forward I stumble as a stranger tells me to "watch where I'm going".

Shaking away the comment I catch a glimpse of a young man with glasses sitting in a window seat all alone. That has to be him, I think walking over to him. As I stop in front of his table he mutters, "If you want this seat, you'll have to wait. I'm going to be here awhile. There are many other places you can sit and enjoy your coffee."

Rolling my eyes I see him writing down notes from his laptop that sits off to his right. His cup of coffee a safe distance away.

"I don't want your window seat Matthew."

At my words the pencil falls out of his left hand and into his paper. Looking up wide brown eyes framed by a pair of black glasses meet my own. Messy brown hair is gelled upwards and his short sleeved shirt with some sort of mathematical equations on it tells of his love for math.

"Alex... right?"

"Yeah. Can I sit here?" He nods his head before setting his laptop as well as his notes aside. Sitting down on the worn seat I lean forward egare to hear answers.

"I don't know if you remember me, but I'm Victoria's younger sister. I've been trying to find out what happened to my sister and was told to find you."

Nodding he takes a sip of his drink before asking, "Who told you that?"

Pausing I think about if I should tell him or not. They're all friend so it couldn't hurt. Right?

"Olivia."

Shaking his head he sets his drink down. "I should've known. She's always been very avoidant of the past. Especially when it hurts."

"If you don't mind me asking..." I pause expecting him to protest somehow and when he doesn't I continue, "What exactly happened?"

"Are you talking about the party?" He asks slightly confused. Tapping my fingers to a random beat I asks, "What party?"

He gives a short laugh as if I've told one of the funniest joke that he's ever heard. Soon realizing that I'm silent he asks, "You're very funny Alex, but I don't understand why you look so confused."
Repeating my question I ask, "What party?"

"Alex why are you asking about the party? You were there too. Don't you remember?"

At his words all the bits and pieces of memories that I've remembered flood my mind. Victoria and her friends at a party all laughing as Nicholas walks off into the trees. A cup in all of their hands.

"No, I don't." I mutter only for him to say.

"You were there that night with us. You were there the night Victoria disappeared."