Chapter Thirteen

Walking to my bedroom door I listen for any sounds anything at all that will tell me if he's gone to bed. The only thing that is heard is my own breathing and the house as it groans before settling down quiet once again. Closing my eyes I take a breath before opening them and looking down at the door handle. Twisting it I peek out and see the hallway deserted. Tip toeing on the hardwood floors the step below me creaks out a warning as if to say turn back. Pausing I wait before continuing. Looking around I see my phone sitting on the counter right where I left it. 
Glancing into the living room I find it empty except for a pair of black oxford work shoes laying by the door. I was right. My father is in fact home.
Walking into the kitchen I grab my phone only to feel it vibrate it my hand as it rang. Quickly looking down I see that it's my mother who is called. It's then I hear a deep hoarse voice call out from behind me, "Alexandria this is all your fault."
Turning around I see a tired emotionally beaten man who turned to alcohol abuse to cope. Dark brown hair turned gray with age sticks in all directions as if he's ran his fingers through it. Glassy ice blue eyes gaze at something behind me before focusing on my face.
"All of this is your fault. If it wasn't for you then your sister would still be here!"
"I-It's not-t my fault s-s-she disappeared..." I stutter taking a step back as he points one of his fingers at me. His dark blue shirt matching his eyes as his hurt shows in the form of anger only grows.
"Yes, it is. You were-" He stops looking down at my phone which stopped ringing before asking, "Who's calling you?"
Looking down at the phone curled in my small hand I see a missed call from my mother. Shaking my head a stand of my honey hair falls into my face.
"It's not-t a-a-anyone important."
Ignoring my comment his eyes focus on something I cannot see before breathing out, "She was out with that boyfriend of hers that night..."
Tapping my fingers against my thigh I try to think of a way to escape this conversation. He slides forward his jeans brushing together softly as he does so.
"The police said that they had investigated all the leads they had and found nothing at the end. They missed something because she couldn't have disappeared without a trace. I need her to come home soon. Tell her that she needs to come back home, that I miss her."
Sliding past my hollow Father I speed walk into my room and lock the door. Letting out a sigh of relief I remember the words that he spoke. She was out with that boyfriend of hers that night...
Pacing the floor of my room I think deep in thought. Nicholas was in the memory I had of Tori and her friends hanging out in the forest. He seemed angry about something. What was it? Did she finally break up with him like I advised her to? I've heard things about all the trouble he's gotten into. I haven't heard from him since that night. If they did break up then he possibly can't stand to see my family knowing what he had lost. What we have all lost. Nicholas lost his girlfriend and I lost my older sister. Why haven't the police found her yet? What's stopping them? She's somewhere out there and they can't seem to find where. Perhaps Father is right: the police did miss something. If they had wouldn't they look through everything again? Maybe whatever their missing is something that they original overlooked. It's driving me crazy that I'm keeping this all in my head, these theories, questions, and memories. If they can be considered memories...
I think as a yawn escapes my mouth. Looking down at my phone I am reminded that Mother called me. Quickly calling her I wait for her to pick up. Which she does so after a few rings.
"Hello?" She asks as I sit down in the chair at my desk.
"Hello Mother."
"Alexandria! You didn't answer my first call."
"I know I was busy. Sorry." I say picking up the turtle figurine that was a gift from Ethan.
"Oh, I see. I've been meaning to call you the past few days, but was so busy that I didn't have the chance to."
"It's fine. I've also been busy." I say looking at the little head that is tucked under his green shell. Silence fills the line for a moment, "So why did you call me?"
"I just wanted to check up on you is all."
"Oh. Well I'm good."
"That's good to hear..."
"Yeah."
"How's your Father?" At her question words suddenly are stuck in my throat.
"Alexa?"
"He's uh, doing okay..."
"But?" She questions as I set the turtle down.
"But he's drunk when he is home..." I mutter looking out the window at the nearly empty street and park partially hidden by trees. She sighs on the over end before speaking, "I knew it... I had thought that he might be drinking after all the night he's been out, but now I don't have to wonder anymore because I know."
"I just wish-" I stop myself short because wishing doesn't do anything. It won't fix anything.
"I know it's hard and I'm sorry. I'll be home in a week, but it may be longer. I was-"
"Look I'm tired and am going to bed. We'll talk later okay?"
"Alexandria! Listen-"
"Sorry Mother." I say before quickly hanging up and set the phone down on the desk. Rubbing my tired eyes I grab a towel and walk into the bathroom to shower. Once I'm done I walk into my bedroom and change into an old shirt and pajama pants. Once I'm done brushing my shoulder length hair I set the brush down. Flicking off the light I then climb onto my bed and get under the covers. Staring up at the ceiling I close my eyes not wanting to be awake anymore. It's not too long after that I'm falling asleep.