Chapter Thirty-five

Getting back into my car I drive away from Matthew and Starbucks. I repeat his words over and over in my head as I drive. "She's been at Providence Medford Medical Center ever since that night." I've driven by the hospital a few times and know the area enough to get there on my own. Driving through town I attempt to come up with something to say to Ivy when I see her. 

Should I ask her about why she was with my sisters' boyfriend or how she ended up in the hospital in the first place. The latter might be a better place to start. I don't want to cause unnecessary problems.

Focusing on the task at hand I see Providence Medford Medical Center up ahead of me. Getting into the correct lane I the turn into the parking lot of the medical center. A sea of spray painted metal takes up most of the parking spaces. Not seeing any parking space I drive down another row to see a empty space between a red truck and a grey van. Pulling into the parking stall I turn off the car and undo my seatbelt.

Grabbing my purse and the car keys I get out locking the car as I do so. Pocketing the keys I start the walk towards the medical center. Walking in between cars I glance up at the building in front of me. The red brick building stands four stories tall while hiding away the sick and afflicted inside. Grey brick surrounds the large reflective window that only show of the outside world.

Crossing the crosswalk and into Providence Medford Medical Center the smell of cleaning supplies and cool air remind me of who I am here to see. Walking up the front desk the nurse asks me, "How can I help you?"

"I'm here to see Ivy Moore." With a small smile she types on her computer before glancing up.

"Relation?"

"I'm a friend. " I lie waiting for the information.

"She's in room 68. Down the hall through the doors then you'll find her room." The nurse directs me. Nodding my head and commenting a quick thanks I walk around the main desk. Walking down the long hallway I see many different people sitting in chairs waiting. Eyes constantly shifting as fingers or feet tap.

Pushing the doors open I see yet another long hallway that branches off into two parts. Doors with numbers beside them tell of each patient inside. Looking around I see yet another desk with a nurse. Walking up to him I ask, "Where is room 68?"

Giving me a soft smile he says, "It's down the hallway right there," he points off to the left, "and it should be on your right."

"Thank you." I say following his instructions I find room number 68. Standing in front front of the door I slowly push on the already opened door. The T.V. softly plays as the window is open letting in natural light. A girl with curly black hair lays in the hospital bed. Upon the door letting out a groan a girl sitting in a chair next to Ivy looks up. Blue eyes meet my own as the scar stands out as clear as day, but it always does.

"Charlie." I blurt out as I begin walking inside the room. The only sound in the room are the T.V. heart monitor, and my footsteps. Pale skin makes the bedsheets look cream rather than the hospital white. Ivy's emotionless body makes the air in my lungs freeze.

"What are you doing here?" Charlie questions me causing my feet to disobey my commands to move.

"What is she doing here?" Ivy asks looking from Charlie to Tori before continuing, "It wasn't a very good idea to bring your younger sister who is still in high school."

"It's fine Ivy. Don't make a big deal out of nothing." Charlie's words resulting in a glare from Ivy. Those two have never really gotten along very well. I note gripping the flashlight tighter in my hand. I watch as Nicholas walks over and wraps his arms around Tori causing her to giggle.