Chapter Fifteen

Pete began to take a good hour and a half explaining everything that had been going on with him. He only left out one part, the part he achieved all of his success the past four years from trading his life. After Pete spoke of everything that had happened, Tom was the first to speak and laugh. Tom then looked at Zach and they laughed together. Pete stared at both of them.

"That was great Pete, the story was really epic. I can't believe you went through all of this work just to get this laugh out of us, but you had us both going."

"Um, Pete?" said Zach. "You still have it. You really do. Great story. So, guys I was thinking we should play some golf."

Pete stared at the table. He couldn't believe what they were saying. They weren't taking him seriously.

"Tom and Zach, have I ever lied to either one of you?"

Both Tom and Zach looked at each other and laughed some more.

"Seriously Pete, funny stuff, but really, we get the joke now."

"No," said Pete. "You still don't get it. This is not a joke and never was meant to be."

"What are you getting at Pete?"

"Everything I told you is true."

Now Tom and Zach had Pete's full attention.

Zach, the humorous one in the group, spoke first, "Pete, I think you are going crazy then. I mean stuff like this doesn't just happen to a person. We will have to send you to the psychiatric ward. Come on Tom, let's strap him up."

Zach cracked up at his own joke, but stopped after Tom and Pete weren't laughing.

"Whoa Zach, hold on there, I think Pete is serious about this."

"No, he can't be."

"I think he is...I mean look at him. He looks worried. Honestly I haven't seen Pete like this for years. He is not acting the same way. I think he is telling the truth."

"Yeah, I don't know so much. I mean people sometimes just break down and, you know, start to have mental issues. It just happens."

"I don't think he is having a mental break down, as you would call it. He just seems worried."

Pete listened to them talk, but he finally spoke up. "Okay, both of you, stop. I'm not crazy, this is really happening. I'm not having a mental break down."

"Pete, how do I...how do we know that?" Zach was serious.

"Well," said Pete. And Pete told the story of what happened four years ago, this time including the part about selling his life.

After finishing the rest of the story Zach spoke up. "This seems like some kind of crazy movie. This seems like a horror film. This stuff just doesn't happen to everyday people. So Pete, what you're saying is that you sold your soul to get success out of this life?"

"Yes."

"Well, it looks like you got a pretty good deal. I mean you got everything you wanted, and you sure are successful, but really man, this whole selling a soul just doesn't make much sense."

"It doesn't make sense to me either; it's just how it is. Listen, I don't like this, but what can I do? I have to figure out what is going on."

Tom and Zach looked at each other for the hundredth time and there wasn't anything they could say. This man is crazy, is the look both of them seemed to be giving each other.

"So what do you want us to do?"

"I don't know, I just figured I should tell someone. How about this, you both come to my house and maybe then you can see what happens?"

Zach looked right at Pete, smiled and said, "it's a date; we'll come over tomorrow."