Chapter Nine

Pete woke to hear the doorbell go off. Panicking, he froze and hoped they would go away, but he heard the doorbell ring once again.

This time around, he took longer to get out of his chair and drifted to the door. He looked through the peephole and saw no one.

Afraid, he backed from the door, and was about ready to walk back to his chair, when the doorbell rang a third time.

"What do you want?" Pete asked.

There was no response for a few seconds. "For you to buy cookies." said a soft high-pitched voice.

Pete laughed at his own jumpiness and opened the door. Seeing no one, Pete looked around, and yelled out again.

"What do you want?"

After hearing no response, Pete took a step outside his door and asked again.

"What do you want?"

The door slammed behind him and Pete turned around and tried to open the door, but he could not. The door was either locked or stuck! Pete cursed and turned back around to face the lawn. The sun was not out, and Pete looked at his watch to which it read four in the afternoon.

"The sun should still be out." Pete said to himself.

He then walked off of his deck and landed on the grass, but no, it's not grass, although, it should be. Pete stuck his hand down on the ground and felt it. Pete assumed that it was dust or dirt, but it was hard to tell. He thus turned around and was about to go up to his house, but realized he cannot see his house either. In fact, it was impossible to see anything in this light, because there seemed to be no light anywhere. Just pitch black.

Pete was troubled but knew he needed to find out what happened, and so he got up and walked. He held his hands in front of him, hoping that he would not stumble. He walked in a slow motion, and tried to move forward, hoping that his eyes would adjust to the darkness. His eyes adjusted to nothing, and Pete continued on in pitch black.

After a bit of walking, he tripped and fell down, hitting his head on a nicely placed rock