Chapter Eight

One month later, the building Pete spoke about in his speech was being demolished. Pete stood and watched the demolition being done, making sure everything moved forward okay.

This has to make them happy. Now they will finally be satisfied, thought Pete.

The demolition took a few days to complete, but after the building was leveled, Pete was satisfied that the job was completed. Winfield would be the first town, in all the country, to not allow the building. People would be normal, and Pete wouldn't have to worry about them changing at the end of the week.

Pete was in high spirits, knowing the day he often dreaded would not be an issue.

As Pete left for his home, nearing it, he went through the gate and the grassy lawn. Pete came up to the porch and stopped at the door. Pete sniffed the air for any danger, and noted that everything seemed to be clear. He stepped into the house and walked around.

Sniffing the air in each room he noticed there was no odor, even a musty or stuffy smell. He then walked into the kitchen and turned on the light. Yes, that's right! The light, which had been going out, had been working for a few weeks now.

Pete walked around the kitchen, and satisfied with what he finds in this room, left the kitchen, and sat down on his chair, turning on the TV. The time was three in the afternoon.

Some sitcom was on, and soon Pete drifted off to sleep, but before he can completely fall asleep, he was awoken. Ever since that milkman incident, he had been having trouble sleeping, even though nothing has gone awry since then. Even with the lingering fear, Pete fell asleep.