Chapter Eleven

The TV turned on, but the moment of excitement faded. Pete saw on the screen nothing but static. He tried to change the channel, but nothing seemed to work. Disappointed, he turned off the TV, but it would not turn off. He continued to press the buttons, but nothing happened. After a while, he gave up and closed his eyes. Right as he is just about to fall asleep he heard a whispering voice in his right ear.

"Hey..."

Startled, he stood up and looked over his right shoulder, and continued to look all around him. He saw nothing; everything was normal. He was only freaking out, even if it was for good reason.

Wait a minute, Pethaford thought. He looked at the TV and it was black now, no static. Pethaford wondered what that meant and tried to change the channel, the sound, anything on the TV, but it did nothing. Giving up, he moved back to his chair and tried to sleep again. Pete was just about to fall asleep, when again he heard a voice in his left ear.

"Hey..."

This time Pethaford jumped to his feet and yelled out, "What do you want? What the heck do you want? Leave me alone. I have done everything. I have given you everything. What more do you need?"

Pethaford was not expecting an answer as he was only frustrated, but he received one.

"You. Your soul. Your everything."

"What? Why would I give you myself?"

"Don't you remember? I gave you everything, four years ago, and now is the time for payment."

"What payment, what happened four years..." it was at this point Pethaford remembered.