Birthday Boy

(Later That Night At Dinner)

Dinner was just like a nightmare. I couldn't fucking focus on eating my food because my hand kept brushing against Gabe and I could feel him stiffen at the contact. I stole quick glances every minute to look at Gabe and every time I did, he was already watching me and blushing heavily. The others had obviously been told what had occurred and they wouldn't stop smirking at us. Lee was the only one not smirking and I'm kinda wishing he was because seemed to be in a horrible mood. Gabe flinched each time Lee stabbed a piece of food with his fork and then Lee would chew slowly, all the time watching Gabe as well. When Lee stabbed his dinner for the fifth time, I was fed up and slammed my hand on the table.

"OKAY, I'M DONE! YOU ALL ARE ACTING RIDICULOUS AND IMMATURE! ME AND GABE ALREADY KNEW ABOUT SEX AND WE DON'T NEED YOU GUYS MAKING THINGS AWKWARD! I'M GOING TO BED, GOODNIGHT!"

I threw the rest of my dinner away and stormed off to my room. As I was leaving I heard a giggle come from Javi and then he said something about me saying the word sex. My mind was blown at how immature Javi could be sometimes and didn't know how Kate put up with it. I made it to my room and tore off my dirty clothes and threw on my warmest PJs and curled up in my mountain of blankets. The temperature had dropped tonight and it was a bit nippy outside. My teeth almost started chattering as a breeze blew in and I tried to block it out when I felt something warm and heavy behind me. Knowing that it wasn't a blanket because of the weight, I flipped over and seen Gabe laying beside me. His golden eyes were filled with humor as I shivered and scooted closer to him for some of his body heat.

"What are you doing here, Gabe?"

He shrugged his shoulders and lifted my covers before sliding his body right next to mine. I sighed contently at the warmth radiating off of him and he pulled me closer.

"Well, I knew it would get pretty chilly tonight so I decided to keep you warm."

I didn't put up any fight as sleep drifted over me and I buried my face in his chest.

"Love you, Gabe. Night."

"I love you more, Clem. Goodnight."

(Two Days Later)

Have you ever felt like the world was against you? Like just when you thought things couldn't get any worse, WHAM! They fucking get 10x worse. That's what I was feeling today and I just wanted to scream, cry, kill someone, or do all three things. I've been up since dawn cooking sweets, decorating the cafeteria, and making sure everything was perfect. And it had to be perfect because today was important.

Today was Gabe's birthday.

Kate and Javi told me not to make a big deal out of it because Gabe hated having a lot of attention but, I wanted to do this. I may not look like the kind of girl who does sappy shit like this but, goddamnit, Gabe is getting a party. And it's going to be the best party he's ever had. Lilly has helped me make some of the goodies but she wasn't the best cook. But, halfway through decorating, Javi came in and told me that Gabe was needed to go on a quick run with him because Javi needed to get something. That meant they wouldn't be back until later and Gabe would probably be too tired to do anything at the party. When Javi told me this, I was holding a plate with freshly baked cookies and I just snapped. The tray with the cookies went flying as I chucked it against the wall and walked away from the prison.

I walked around for hours outside in the nearby woods and just took a break. I must have dozed off because the next thing I knew, I was being woke up by Gabe and the sun was beginning to set. I jerked awake and gasped as I remembered about the party.

"Oh fuck! Your party!"

Gabe rested a hand on my shoulder and laughed at my shouting.

"Clem, it's okay. I seen everything and I loved it, thank you. I was worried about you because Javi said you just stormed off after he told you I was going on a run today. It was only a mile away and took us maybe an hour to do."

I grew angry with myself as I heard Gabe and realized that I completely overreacted. I felt tears begin to well up in my eyes and looked up at Gabe.

"I'm sorry, Gabe. I ruined your birthday."

Gabe seemed to look angry at me and I felt worse because I assumed he was angry about me ruining his birthday. I closed my eyes as tears rolled down but, felt a pair of lips on mine and opened my eyes. Gabe gave me a stronger kiss that I returned before he pulled away and sat in front of me.

"Clementine, you made this the best birthday ever. Wanna know why?"

I nodded my head as he smiled at me and scooted closer to me.

"It's because you're my girlfriend and you threw me a party. I also found something in your room that had my name on it. Did you really find me a guitar?"

I laughed lightly and wiped away my tears before nodding.

"Yeah, Lilly found it on our run together a couple days ago. Javi and Kate told me you use to play and wanted to hear you."

Gabe stood from his seat and extended his hand for me to take, which I did and we walked hand in hand back to the prison.

"Well, I might be a little rusty on the guitar but can still probably sing. You're about to witness the next American Idol."

I laughed at his cocky remark and deepened my voice and put on my best Simon Cowel face.

"It's going to be a no from me."