Speed Bump

"Come on, Lilly. Just let me drive for a little bit!"

"No way in hell. This is my baby and I don't know if you can drive or not!"

I huff in agitation at Lilly and turn to look out the window. We had just finished doing a sweep of a nearby grocery store and found some good stuff. We found canned peaches, beans, couple of full water bottles, some gauze, and we even found a couple of cans of Spam. It was a successful run in my book and felt giddy about it. I had been trying to convince Lilly to let me drive but, she wasn't having it.

"Okay, I just want to drive for a couple miles. PLEASE!"

"Nope."

I squinted my eyes at Lilly, who kept her eyes on the slightly dark road. The sun was beginning to set and we would reach the motel in about 10 minuets. I folded my arms across my chest and brought out the big guns.

"Lilly, if you don't let me drive then I'll tell Lee that I seen you get condoms."

Skerrrrrt

"FINE! You can drive us back to the motel! God!"

I let out a whoop of victory but, quickly quieted from Lilly's glare. We switched seats and I seen Lilly put on her seatbelt.

"Really?"

"I'm not getting thrown from the truck because you can't drive."

"Whatever."

I put the truck into drive and we were off. Driving was pretty easy and I had done it before but, didn't tell Lilly that. It was now pitch black outside and was losing visibility in front of the truck. I took my eyes off the road and started fiddling with the switches behind the steering wheel. The windshield wipers started swiping and then the interior light came on.

"Clementine, what are you doing?"

"Looking for the damn headlight switch."

"It's the knob on the dashboard beside you."

I looked for it and seen it right where Lilly said it was and they flipped on.

"CLEMENTINE, WATCH OUT!"

"AHHHH!"

Skeeert! Bump!

My eyes were wide as I looked behind us, trying to figure out what the hell I just hit. Lilly unbuckled her seatbelt and we both grabbed our weapons before exiting the truck. Lilly had a brush guard on her truck so, there was no damage done to the truck. But, there was some blood and grimaced at the sight.

"Fuck! What did I hit?"

"I don't know but, it looked really big."

I started walking back behind the truck and fished out my small flashlight. There was small blotches of blood on the road and I finally came across what I had hit.

"Oh fuck! Lilly, help me with it!"

"With wha- CLEMENTINE, GET AWAY FROM THAT WILD ANIMAL!"

I ignored Lilly's unnecessary loud shouting and crouched beside the wolf. It was the one that I kept seeing and the one that brought me my hat. It's yellow eyes were half lidded and it was letting out small whimpers. It's back paw was curled slightly and was bleeding heavily.

"Lilly, please help me with it. It's not a mean wolf and it's been following me for a while now."

I heard Lilly let out a silent curse and then heard her drop the tailgate. She came over and crouched beside me, looking at the damage I done to the wolf.

"Boy, you did a number on him. Alright, let's get him in the back of the truck and fast, I think I hear some walkers coming."

"How do you know it's a male?"

Lilly gave me a "are you stupid or something" look and pointed at the wolf.

"Oh. Gotcha. Okay, let's lift on three."

I placed my arms underneath his upper body while Lilly got the bottom half. We counted to three and lifted him into the bed of the truck. He was a heavy son of a bitch and I felt like I popped something in my back as we both hoisted him into the truck.

"Okay, do you know how I have a window in my room?"

"Yes? What does that have to do with anything right now?"

"I need you to drive around and we'll sneak him through there. I'll keep him in my room until he gets better and then I'll let him go. The others would flip shit if they knew we brought a big ass wolf back, especially Lee."

Lilly groaned and rubbed her face with her hands.

"This animal really means that much to you?"

"Yeah he does. Please, Lilly?"

"Ugh fine. But, if Lee finds out you're taking the fall for this."

I smiled real big and hugged Lilly tight.

"Okay, okay. Let's go before they send out a search party."

I decided to ride in the back with wolf and keep an eye on him. We made it to the motel in a few minutes and Lilly pulled around the back and helped me pry off the boards that were covering my window. After that, I went through the window and helped Lilly pull the wolf through it. He helped a little and hoped up and onto my spare bed before curling up into a ball. Lilly boarded my window back up and I talked to her through it.

"Okay, tell the others I was having bad cramps or something. I'm going to clean his wound and dress it. And could you bring me whatever we're having for dinner?"

"Ugh. Fine. But, don't let your guard down too much with that wolf. He may seem friendly but, he is still wild."

"Thank you so much, Lilly. And I won't."

With that being said, Lilly got back into her truck and pulled around to the front of the motel. I went to my door and locked it before turning back to my new roommate. I dug through my backpack and pulled out a roll of bandages and some alcohol. The wolf had raised its head upon hearing me approach him and was staring intently at me.

"It's okay, boy. I'm just going to clean and dress your leg."

He seemed to understand and laid its head back down but, still watched me closely. I had his leg patched up in no time and when I finished there was a knock at my door. I answered it and seen Lilly holding a plate full a food and another one that held, what looked like, scraps.

"I figured your wolf would be hungry. It's not much but, it's something."

"It's perfect. Thank you, Lilly."

She handed me the plates and nodded to me before leaving. I closed the door with my hip and set down one plate to lock it. I picked the plate back up and went over to give the wolf his plate but, found him to be sleeping. I didn't wake him, instead I set his plate down on the floor and quickly ate my food before bedding down as well. I was a lot more tired than I had thought because my eyes started closing as soon as my head hit the pillow. I looked one more time at the wolf before closing my eyes.

"Goodnight."