Let The River Run

I had no idea where the fuck I was. My head was spinning and when I opened my eyes it only got worse. I tried clearing my mind and opened my eyes once more and seen Lee standing over me.

"Lee? Where am I?"

He smiled at me and patted my head in a comforting manner.

"Hey, sweet pea. You fainted in your shelter and Gabe brought you over to ours. The storm is raging on but, you're okay."

Wait, Gabe? Gabe!

I jolted up and looked around to see Lilly and Gabe talking about something. He must've heard me get up because his head snapped to look at me and he gave me a wink. I felt the breath get taken from my chest as I remembered what made me faint. Lee slowly pushed me back onto a cot I was on and scolded me.

"Don't jerk up like that, Clem. You're only going to make your headache worse. Here, take these and get some more rest, I'll wake you when the storm is over."

He didn't leave any room for complaints and I was too tired to fight it. I gave Gabe one more glance before taking the medication from Lee and laying down. I closed my eyes for the second time that night but, this time it was voluntary.

"CLEMENTINE! Get up! We have to go, now!"

Lee was shaking me awake and I shot up in a panic. I glanced around and seen Lee and Lilly at the entrance of the shelter with their bags on. I felt myself get picked up bridal style and seen Gabe giving me a smirk.

"I got her! Just go!"

Lilly ran out and Lee gave me another look before following her. Gabe tightened his hold on me and glanced down at me.

"Better hold on tight, Clementine. The dam near us broke and everything's getting flooded. We gotta go."

He threw open the front door and ran out it. The storm was done but, there was still clouds covering the sun. But, that's not the first thing I noticed. No, it was a roar that sounded all around us and I couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from. Gabe ran fast across the street to where everyone was piling into the RVs and Lilly's truck. Gabe took us into the one with Javi, Kate, Kenny, Lilly, and Lee. He sat me down on a bed and then we were off. Lee told me the others were in the RV behind us and Russell was with Becca in the truck. He also told me everyone was okay. Gabe sat next to me but, was having a quiet conversation with Javi. I wondered what they were talking about when Kenny swore out loud and slammed on the brakes.

"Son of a bitch! Hold on!"

I would've went flying if Gabe hadn't grab me and held me down. We fell on the floor of the RV and I was trapped underneath him. I blushed bright red and shoved him off of me and sat up. Everyone's attention was currently on whatever made us stop and I was curious. I looked out the window and seen the road was flooded by a raging river. Javi cursed as well and sighed.

"That's the only way out. We have to cross it."

Kenny hit the steering wheel again and frowned before looking back at us.

"The RV's have AWD and can make it across. Just watch out for the kid and girl in the truck. It's only a FWD."

And with that, he slammed on the gas and headed across the river. Water got into the RV but, we still kept going. I was terrified that we would get swept away and drown. A hand grasped mine and I seen it was Gabe holding it. He smiled that smile of his and I completely forgot about what was happening.

"Alright, both RVs made it! Let's get out and make sure that truck makes it."

I jumped at Kenny's shouting and realized that we already crossed the river. We all got out of the RVs and watched as Russell and Becca started driving across it. They went slow and Shel was nearly sobbing as she seen the look of terror on her sisters face. The truck was doing good until it jerked and came to a stop.

"Fuck! Too much water has got in the engine they have to get out or they'll get swept away!"

We started shouting for them to get out and Russell grabbed Becca and pulled her out of the truck and started swimming towards us. They fought against the strong current of the water and almost went under multiple times. They were 6 feet from us and the shore when a walker popped out of the water and bit into Becca's neck. Shel let out a shout and was going in the water before Tripp grabbed her and held her down.

"NO! BECCA!"

Becca drove a knife through the walkers eye and it floated away. Russell tried swimming with Becca to the shore but, she pushed against him. She said something that we couldn't hear over the roar of the river and gave a long kiss before making him let go. She waved goodbye to us before the current pulled her under and that was it. Russell seemed to be crying as he made it to the other side with us. Lee was the first to pull him up and out of the water and Gabe was right behind him. We rushed to help and dragged him back to the RV. Then, he sobbed and held onto Shel. I was about to start crying as well but, a shout caught our attention.

"FUCK! GET OFF!"

We turned to see Lee get pulled into the river and Gabe was trying to kill it from the bank. We rushed to help Lee but, he shouted once more before getting pulled under. And the others were in shock while I was in a rage. I turned to Gabe with hate in my eyes and punched him.

"WHAT HAPPENED?!"

"A walker grabbed his ankle and pulled him into the water. I tried helping him but, it was too late. I'm sorry, Clem!"

Tears were rushing down my face and I furiously wiped them away before going to Lilly, who was now full on sobbing. I looked once more over my shoulder at Gabe with a look of loathing before spitting out words that were laced with pure hatred. I didn't mean for the words to come out like they did but, I was feeling nothing but hate inside.

"It should've been you."

I turned to Lilly and we started walking to the RV. I heard Gabe's voice crack as he called out to me but, I kept on walking.

"Clementine, I love you and I'm sorry."

His words made me pause and as I turned to him, all I seen was Gabe diving into the water. Kate screamed out and tried going after him but, Javi grabbed her from behind. I ran to the bank and tried looking for him but, there was nothing. I pounded the ground in front of me and began sobbing. Our shouting must have been loud because I heard groans coming from walkers and they were close.

"Fuck! Everyone get in an RV and let's go! I've got Clementine!"

I felt Kenny haul me off and I started kicking and screaming for him to leave me. Kenny dragged me back to the RV and threw me in with him behind me. I heard people pile in but, it was all background noise. I rushed to the window as we drove off and was still looking out the window for Lee and Gabe to pop out of the river.

They never did.