The Talk

So, I had heard from Kate that Gabe's birthday was the day after tomorrow and I wanted to do something special for him. I asked Kate and Javi what his favorite things were and if Gabe had any favorite foods I could make him. They weren't very helpful because they claimed Gabe would like anything, especially if I was the one giving it to him. However, Kate did say that Gabe use to sing and play the guitar and had one before the world went to shit. After hearing that, I went out with Lilly the next day on a run to gather supplies for Gabe's party and look for a guitar.

"Hey, old lady! You coming?"

Lilly broke away from Lee during their goodbye kiss and gave me a god awful look.

"Call me old lady one more time and I'll leave you on the side of the road 30 miles from here and make you walk back."

I waved my hand at her empty threat and turned around as I felt someone come near me. Gabe had my backpack in hand and my old ball cap in the other. I took the items with a nod as a thank you and went to put on my hat before I was stopped. Gabe twisted my hat around backwards and gave me a gentle kiss on the cheek before turning my hat back around.

"Be careful, Clementine. I know you don't need me to tell you but, still be safe."

I tugged my hat down so Gabe wouldn't see my blush and lightly shoved him.

"Yeah, yeah. I'll be fine. I'll see you at dusk or a little after, okay?"

My hat was tapped up and Gabe smiled at me.

"See ya then."

I spun around to follow Lilly, who was watching us with a knowing smirk. I quickly glared at her to shut her up and walked right past her and into the truck. We found this truck about a week ago and Lilly had already claimed it to be hers. I was sitting in the cab of the truck waiting for Lilly when I seen Gabe standing in the same spot, waving and smiling at me. My heart lurched at the sight and I waved back but, paused when I seen Lee come up behind Gabe and tap his shoulder. Lee placed an arm around Gabe and said something to him that made Gabe pale instantly.

"Don't worry. Lee just wanted to have a little talk with Gabe and sit down man to man or something."

I nodded my head at Lilly's explanation and we drove off. I kept glancing in the rear view mirror but Gabe and Lee had already walked off together. I sighed and hoped that Lee wouldn't do or say anything stupid to Gabe that would scare him off.

Me and Lilly were making a run into a small clinic that Javi had been watching for months. He said there had been too many walkers the first time he went but now they seemed to spread out. We were supposed to be looking for bandages, alcohol, medication, anything that can be used to treat wounds or sickness. Lilly pulled the truck over a couple miles away from the small building and we went on foot from there and snuck around the straggling walkers. Lilly took lead and I watched her back as we crept into the dark building.

"Alright, you take the first three rooms and I'll check the back. Meet back here in 20 or come find me, got it?"

"Got it."

Me and Lilly made our separate ways and I started sweeping my rooms. I found a couple of supplies in the rooms but, nothing to brag about. I checked my watch and seen that it already been 18 minuets so I walked back to where the entrance was and seen Lilly walking back as well. She looked like she was hiding something behind her back but I couldn't really see it because of the lack of light.

"Hey, whatcha got?"

Lilly stopped walking and smirked at me.

"How much do you love me?"

I threw her a skeptical glance at the question and cocked my head.

"Enough to want to barf every time I see you and Lee kiss. Seriously, stop doing that in front of me. I think of him like my second dad and you're like my kinda okay step mom."

Lilly shrugged her shoulders at my answer as if she was okay with it and pulled something out from behind her back. I gasped as I seen what she was holding and darted towards her.

"I take it back. I love you, like a whole fucking lot. Where did you find this? How did you know I was looking for one?"

"Some poor guy had it in his arms and had a bullet hole in his head. I heard Kate and Javi talking to you about Gabe playing and grabbed it."

I took the guitar from Lilly and ran my fingers over it. It seemed to be in mint condition, aside from the blood splatter that was at the base of it. A smile stretched across my face and I pulled Lilly into a strong hug.

"Thank you so much, Lilly. I owe you big time."

Lilly returned the hug and laughed at my rushed words.

"Well, I'll remember that next time you yell at me and Lee to get a room. And you'll thank me again later."

I was about to question what Lilly meant by thanking her again later but groans filled the room and we ran to the truck. The ride back was silent and we were nearly at the prison when Lilly pulled over. I grew nervous that she was actually going to make me walk back but Lilly laughed at my shocked face.

"Don't worry, I'm not going to make you walk back. I just promised Lee I would do something."

"Okay?"

Lilly seemed to be at war with herself and I was shocked to see a blush start appearing on her. Lilly let out a frustrated noise and turned to look at me.

"Man this is going to be fucking awkward but I did promise Lee. Fuck it. Clementine, do you know about sex?"

"WHOA, HOLD UP! I ALREADY KNOW ABOUT IT AND EVERYTHING THAT GOES ON!"

Lilly seemed to be skeptical of my answer gave me a knowing look.

"So, you know where his pen-"

"YES, OH MY GOD. STOP. PLEASE. CHRISTINA GAVE ME THE TALK. AND ME AND GABE HAVEN'T EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT GOING THAT FAR."

Lilly didn't seem to be bothered by my shouting, maybe even looking a little relieved that she wouldn't have to talk about that to me. Lilly placed the truck back into drive and we were back on our way home. The pieces came together in my mind as I remembered Lee wanted to talk to Gabe.

"Oh fuck. Is that why Lee wanted to talk to Gabe?"

"Yeah, Javi said he didn't want to do it because he couldn't do it without laughing and Lee wanted this to be a very serious conversation. So, Lee asked me to talk to you and he would talk to Gabe."

"Great, this is going to be a lovely night at dinner."