Don't Tell Me

"Why are there so many songs about rainbows and what's on the other side?"

A soothing voice awoke me from my medicated slumber. It was oddly familiar and comforting, making me almost fall back asleep.

"Rainbows are visions, but only illusions, and rainbows have nothing to hide. So we've been told and some choose to believe it.
I know they're wrong wait and see."

I felt a hand clasp around mine and I want to open my eyes and see who it is but, the medication I had been given was still in my system. So, I just let the person continue the song and allowed myself to listen.

"Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers and me."

The person finished the song and I forced myself to open my eyes, almost not believing them. Lee sat in a chair beside the bed I was in and looking at me with a smile on his face. My heart jumped at seeing him again and I sat up in bed before bringing him in a hug. I pulled away and started looking around the room for Gabe because if Lee was here then, Gabe should be too.

"Lee, how did you get here? How did you find us? Where's Gabe?"

Lee chuckled a bit and put his hands on my shoulders to push me back down on the bed. I frowned at his actions but, stopped when I felt a little light headed.

"Clem, it's like 10 at night. I'll tell you everything tomorrow morning after we get some breakfast. You took a bullet to the side and you really need your rest. So, get some sleep and I'll see you bright and early tomorrow."

Lee leaned over, kissed my cheek, and left the room I was in. I was rather taken back by his complete aversion to answer my questions and quite honestly pissed. Why didn't he just tell me and then we could go to bed? A yawn escaped my mouth and I pushed aside my thoughts as sleep overcame me.

"GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM!"

I bolted up in bed as Javi screamed into my ear. My hand found his throat and he started choking from my throat chop. He held his throat and walked out of the room gasping before Kate came in.

"Hey, Clementine. You feeling up for breakfast?"

I nodded my head and, with some help from Kate, got out of bed and into a wheelchair. I could walk on my own but, I never rode in a wheelchair before and didn't pass up the chance. Kate wheeled me down an oddly familiar hallway and into a lunchroom. I looked around and figured out that we were still at the prison. Javi was sitting at a table with Lee, Lilly, and Kenny. Javi was still rubbing his throat and glared at me as Kate rolled me up to the table. I stuck out my tongue at him as Lee slid me a plate of bacon and eggs.

"Well hello miss sunshine! How we feeling this morning?"

I smiled at Kenny's question and stuffed my mouth with eggs before giving a thumbs up. I devoured my breakfast and chugged the bottle of water that was given to me and turned to Lee He finished up his food and whispered something to Kenny before getting up and wheeling me out of the lunchroom. I didn't question where we were going and Lee remained quiet the entire time. Lee took me up the hallways and we came to a door that read exit above it. He took me outside to a little balcony and he sat down in a chair in front of me. I looked expectantly at him and he sighed and rubbed his face.

"Well, let's start from the beginning. When you were shot, Javi and the others brought you back inside and looked everywhere for a medical room. Upon their searching they found me locked in a cell at the very bottom of the prison and let me out. David found me and Gabe on a river bank a little ways from here and tried killing us. Gabe said for David just to take him and leave me alone but, that's where everything went wrong. David smiled at Gabe's offer and shot him in the chest, in the heart to be specific, and pushed him back into the water. He took me as a prisoner and I've been here ever since."

I nodded my head at Lee as he told me the story and looked at him curiously.

"Okay but, where's Gabe?"

Lee frowned at me and took my hand in his.

"Clementine, did you not just hear me? Gabe was killed by David. I'm so sorry, Clem. I know he loved you and you probably liked him too. He saved my life and I'm sorry."

I shook my head at Lee and started laughing.

"No, no, no, no. He can't be dead because he was with you and he was safe. But, now your back and I want to see Gabe! Now!"

I stood from my wheelchair and started limping down the hallway where we came from. I started shouting out for Gabe and asking where he was. I made it to the cafeteria where the others were still eating and ran/limped up to them.

"Hey, have you guys seen Gabe? I've been hollering for him but he won't answer me."

Sympathetic looks were thrown my way and I backed away from them, shaking my head as tears started streaming down my face. I ran back to the room I was staying in and threw myself face down on the mattress as my tears soaked the pillows. My sobs started becoming violent and I could feel bile start to rise in my throat. My body lurched over the mattress as I released my breakfast all over the floor. My body felt it had been chewed up and spit out, leaving me to shiver at the used up feeling. A hand touched my shoulder and I looked up to see Kate crying as well. I clung to her as we both sobbed on my mattress and she tried whispering sweet things to me.

"He loved you, Clementine. Don't you forget that and always know that he'll be watching out over us. I don't know why but this was worst than when we thought he died in the river with Lee. I don't know why. Maybe it was because when we found Lee, I assumed he was with him and fine. Now, I've lost my baby twice and I don't know what I'll do now. I assume he'd want me to watch over you and make sure you're fine because he was just that sweet on you."

I cried harder hearing Kate talk to me and I clung to her like a child does with her mother when she loses a best friend. I cried myself to sleep and found myself wishing that I wouldn't wake up the next day.