Big Bad Wolf

My heart began pounding in my chest as I tried looking around for any sign of Javi. My voice died in my throat as I become aware that I wasn't alone. Twigs snapped to the left of me and I whipped around and pointed my gun at the sound. I couldn't see anything and that just made me even more terrified. I backed slowly away from the noise and turned to run back to where me and Javi had split up but, found something blocking my path.

Oh fuck.

That something was big and furry but, it wasn't Gabe. I looked up as it began to growl and found myself staring up at a severely pissed off grizzly bear.

OH FUCK.

The bear had reared up on its back legs and roared viciously at me. At that, I turned around and began sprinting through the trees. I could hear the thundering of the bears legs as it charged after me. It began closing in on me and I began to lose my breath from all the running. My legs gave out from under me and I fell to the ground, closing my eyes as I heard the bear come closer.

Goodbye, Lee. I'm sorry that I didn't listen to you.

Tears were rolling down my face and I prepared for the strike that was sure to come but, felt nothing. But, I did hear a sickening crunch and some footsteps that were too light for the bear to make. I shakily opened my eyes and could not believe them. The bear was lying dead five feet away from me and I seen a figure standing on top of it. I sat up and began crawling away, hoping not to catch the attention of the figure. I was nearly three feet away when my hand landed on a stick and caused it to snap. The figure snapped its head towards me and jumped off of the bear.

"Oh shit!"

And then I was running away once more. Only this time it was from a mysterious figure and not a 300 pound grizzly bear. I didn't hear anything behind me and came to a stop to listen. There was nothing but, some crickets chirping and the wind slightly blew. I gripped my red jacket closer to me and sat down by a tree. My leg was throbbing from all the running and I popped some ibuprofen that Eleanor sent with me. I leaned my head against the tree and closed my eyes for a moment.

Snap!

My eyes opened to see what caused the sound and found myself staring into golden/yellow eyes. I started to scream but, the boy clasped his hand on my mouth to stop me.

"Don't scream, unless you want every walker within 50 miles to come to us."

I shook my head lightly and he removed his hand. I took in a deep breath and gave the boy a once over. He was around my age, maybe older, wearing cargo shorts and a black shirt. His hair was a dark brown and it fell almost over his eyes. His hands were huge and looked as though he could strangle a bear.

Wait.

"Did you kill that bear?"

His golden eyes snapped towards me and he gave me a toothy smirk. His teeth were a blinding white and they almost seemed sharp.

"Sure did. Figured I shouldn't let you get killed after all you've been through."

I frowned at his words and stood up. I wiped off the dirt that was on me and approached the bear killer.

"What do you mean by that? And what's your name?"

"Well, I suppose you can call me G for now. And I just know that you've been through a lot considering that you took a nasty fall last week."

"Was that you who brought me back to my community?"

My answer was a nod of the head and I was left in shock. I couldn't believe that some stranger would help me like that. I stepped closer to him and he looked at me with another grin. The grin seemed almost predatory and it sent a chill through me. He must've seen me shiver because he sent me another grin and stalked closer to me. I couldn't move from under his gaze and he was within inches from me. His face lowered down to mine and I could smell his minty breath. The boy opened his mouth to say something but, another voice cut him off.

"Clem! Where are you! Let's go!"

Javi.

The boy stepped away from me and gave me a kind smile. I was surprised at the gesture and even more surprised at the reaction I had to it. My heart started racing, I felt blood rush to my cheeks, and I wanted to see more of them smiles. G also threw me a wink and turned around to walk further into the woods, singing a song that I didn't recognize.

"Hey there Little Red Riding Hood. You sure are looking good. You're everything a big bad wolf could want."

His voice faded away as I lost sight of him. I was left standing there in shock of what had all happened tonight. I jumped as I felt a hand on my shoulder and seen that it was Javi.

"Clementine, where the hell were you? Didn't you hear me calling for you?"

"Sorry, Javi. I was almost killed by this grizzly bear but, this boy saved me."

Me and Javi went back to the dead bear and he looked skeptical at me.

"You're saying a boy killed this bear without a weapon of any sort? Clementine, come on. I don't believe that for a second."

I threw my hands in the air and sighed in aggravation.

"Whatever, Javi. Let's just go get something to haul this bitch in and go to bed. I'm exhausted and my leg is killing me."

We walked back to the community in silence and Javi went with Lee to get the bear. I took some pain medication and laid down in my bed. All my thoughts revolving around the boy named G that I had met tonight. For the first time in days, I didn't have a nightmare.