[11] Death May Not Be So Far Away Now

Authors Note:

Sorry for the long waits recently, I'm just getting a bit stuck for ideas on this story :/

But I want to carry on writing it, so don't worry, I'm not deleting it :3

Kbai :B

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I lie there, frantically trying to move parts of the building that's fell on me off my body. But with each push and tug, I'm getting weaker and before I know it I'll have no energy left. I'm left in this position for hours, crying out in pain every time I try and move.

The sun's starting to rise by the time I have just enough energy to try a few more times in trying to escape from underneath this building.

"You can do it," I whisper to myself, "Do it for Katniss!"

And I do. I push and push until I nearly collapse, and at the last minute the timber gives way and I slowly roll out from all of the debris. I'm coughing and spluttering as I walk steadily away, a deep cut now present on my head, but at least I'm still alive. For now, anyway.

Looking around, I realise that nobody must have heard the man made disaster; well, man made if the Gamemakers really are humans. I'm not too sure about that one.

I walk for a bit, not caring what way I'm walking in, until I start to feel dizzy and need a sit down before I pass out. The perfect spot is just ahead, a simple hole in the corner of a looming building, so I drag myself over to it and rest for a while. And before I know it, my eyes start to flicker shut and I'm asleep again, without even realising it.

----------------

"Primrose?" I hear a voice say. "Are you there?" I immediately recognise the voice, it's Katniss.

"Is that you, Katniss?" I reply shakily.

"Can you hear me, Prim?! Prim, help me! Help!" The voice says more urgently now, screaming the words.

I'm frantically struggling now, reaching out for my dear sister. I cannot see her, but I definitely know she's there, somewhere, by the voice crying out to me every few minutes.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Don't hurt me, please, someone help!" She cries again, making me wince in pain at the fact I cannot help her.

"I'm coming, I'm coming!" I shout back, but I don't know what direction to head in, or if this really is her or not. I'm really panicking now, she needs me, wants me to help.

"It's too late, I'm sorry!" She says, once more. And then there is silence, like nobody is left in the arena. Only, of course there is, as no cannons have been fired today.

But then I know. She wasn't really here in the 74th annual Hunger Games, it was just a trick of my mind, or something to do with the Capitol. Yeah, it must have been the Gamemakers. Making me run for her, so that they could get me nearer to the other tributes. After all, there hasn't been many deaths for a while. They'll be getting bored of no blood and fighting.

I just walk away, pretending that I hadn't fell for their little trap. Then again, I don't think I was fooling anyone, not even myself.

Scratch scratch.

I spin around, looking for something that could have made that noise, but there seems to be nothing behind me.

Then I hear a voice pipe up, seeming to be coming from just behind a thick, concrete wall.

"Primrose, is that you?" It says. For a minute I think it just might be the Gamemakers again, but when a face peeps out, I know it's nothing to do with them.

"Caleb?! Is that you?" I hiss, as I recognise the face, and the voice that belongs to it.

"Yes, come here. I promise not to hurt you." He says, pleadingly.

I walk towards him, approaching cautiously jut in case he isn't being genuine and in fact, is going to stab me or something as violent as that. "I'm just in front of the wall, step out and show that you are unarmed and not here to hear me." I say.

"Okay, look now. No weapons at all." He says, as I see him move out from his hiding place. He stands in front of me.

"What happened to your face?" He asks, as he looks me up and down.

"Oh.. Just a little.. Disaster I had." I manage to spit out after a few seconds pondering on what my answer should be. I don't really want to tell him the truth.

"Oh, okay." He replies expressionlessly.

"Why are you here anyway? After everything you said before we went into the arena, at the interviews and that?" I ask him, finally glad to be getting all the questions that had been building up off my chest.

"Listen. About that..." He starts, "I'm sorry. Really sorry."

"Okay. But why did you do it?" I ask, inquisitive to what he's going to reply.

He doesn't reply for a minute, instead Caleb stands staring at the floor. "Well... I don't know, heat of the moment I guess."

"That doesn't really make sense, but ugh, whatever." I say, flicking my plait from my shoulder and tucking some loose strands of hair behind my ear.

"I with I could tell you, but I can't. Sorry." He says, looking genuinely sad about the matter and the fact that he can't tell me. But I don't believe him anyway.

"Yep. That's fine. Good luck in the arena. Bye, Caleb." I say angrily, as I storm off without waiting for him to reply.

I'm only about 200 metres away, when I hear the thud of footsteps running next to me, and easily know it's Caleb. Back to say sorry, yet again.

"No, please Prim, just listen!" He pleads, as I come to a halt and turn towards him, so he can say whatever he needs to say.

"Hurry up, another tribute might come and see us." I say annoyed.

"I was thinking.. We're both from the same district and everything, aren't we?" He asks me, even though quite clearly he knows the answer.

"Er, yes? And you point is?" I reply, rolling my eyes.

"Well... Maybe we could be allies, you know, be on the same team and not be trying to kill each other. You know, like team up?" He says, gabbling so fast that I only just about make out what he's trying to say.

"Your joking right?" I ask, praying that he's just pulling a prank on me.

"Nope." He says, running a hand through his shiny hair.

"Oh, well... Um..." I say, as my mind starts to think about the matter.

Would teaming up with Caleb really be that much of a bad thing?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~