[22] Saying Goodbye To A Dear Friend Is Always Hard

This is back in Prim's POV btw :3

What do you all think of Caleb? Pretty awesome, huh? Drop a comment down below if you agree, or disagree ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"She's gone, Prim," Caleb whispers, looking over to me, as I continue to softly talk to Rue. I look up at him, shaking her head.

"No. She wouldn't have gone without saying goodbye!" I scream at him, standing up and shoving him hard in the stomach. Caleb stumble backwards, but manages to keep his balance and doesn't end up sprawled on the floor.

"GET AWAY!" I scream at him, tears now rolling down my cheeks. I know deep inside that it's not his fault, but for now, I really don't care about that. The only thing I care about is that my allie, my friend, is deas. Gone forever.

"Come here, calm down. It's okay, I'm here." Caleb says gently, coming up to me and wrapping his arms around me. He slowly rocks me backwards and forwards, as I cry hard into him. "She can't be dead," I mutter, sniffling.

"I'm sorry, Prim. But she is. She ate poisonous berries, so they would have killed her sooner or later." He tells me, and I know that it's true, but I just can't bring myself to believe it.

"No. She would never do that. She knows so much about poisonous things in the wild! She's too educated in that stuff! They must have done something. They must have tricked her!" I say, wiping away the tears flowing down my cheeks, as I pull away from Caleb, and grab Rue's hand.

"I know. That's what I thought." Is all Caleb says, as he stares at Rue's unmoving body.

That's when I have an idea.

But I've got to be quick. Before the hovercraft comes for her body, so they can send it back to her heartbroken family back in District 11.

Letting go of Rue's little fingers and abruptly standing up, I run off into the dense woods again, with just a "One minute!" in Caleb's direction. As I'm running, looking for something to make Rue look more presentable, I spot a funny looking tree. Drawn in by it's amazingly coloured leaves and winding branches, I finger them gently before pulling a bunch of leaves off.

I quickly gallop back to Caleb, only stopping to pick a few wild flowers from the ground. He looks at me weirdly, raising an eyebrow, as I approach.

"What's all that for?" He asks, as I place it down next to Rue's body.

"Wait and see," I reply, picking up the colourful leaves and elegantly twisting them together, to form a sort of crown to place on Rue's head. Caleb's eyes widen, as he realises what I'm doing.

"How about you put a bunch of flowers in her hands?" He suggests, which I smile at. After all, it's a brilliant idea.

Slowly placing the leave crown over Rue's mass of hair, at the same time, Caleb slips some flowers into her arms. We stand up, looking at Rue for the last time. And that's when the hovercraft appears, causing us to back away as we watch her body, crown and flowers still intact, being hauled up.

"Goodbye, Rue," I whisper softly, "And I know what happened. I will not rest until I know the truth."

Caleb puts an arm around my shoulder, smiling sadly at me, as the hovercraft flies up into the sky, disappearing almost immediately. He may not have liked her, but enemy or not, nobody should have to die this way. And me, how am I feeling? I'm devestated.

"Come on, let's go eat." Caleb says, as we walk away.

I agree, before adding, "Yeah. 6 of us left now, too."

--------------

"Wow! I am good!" Caleb shouts to me, winking. He's carrying back a dead rabbit by it's furry ears, obviously pleased that he's managed to hunt something for once. I smile weakly. Normally I would be happy for him, laughing even, but I really wasn't in the mood right now. Especially not after Rue's death.

"Yeah..." Is all I can manage to say, as Caleb sits down next to me, our backs to the tree. I pull out the matches that I've kept for so long in my pocket, waiting for them to come in handy, and now is just the right time. His face lights up almost instantly, as I hand him the packet and watch as he stands up to go and collect some wood for the fire. I follow him, but he turns around, and tells me to stay were I am. So I do what I'm told.

Moments later he returns, logs under each arm. "Shall I get started?" He asks me, laying the wood on the ground. I nod, before adding, "You know, there hasn't been many other tributes around here."

Continuing piling the logs on top of each other, Caleb says, "Yeah, I was thinking about that before. they must be in the abandoned city, I think."

I shrug my shoulders at this. "Maybe, or the lake. Or another place."

"I guess, which is making me wonder if there is another place..." Caleb says, lighting one of the matches and throwing at the make shift fire, consisting of broken branches and leaves.

"Now that's making me want to know!" I reply, giggling slightly.

"Yeah, same. And also, we're going to have to move out the woods after we've ate, Prim. And I know you won't like this, but we're going to have to try and kill some more of the others." Caleb tells me, stabbing the rabbit with a stick so he can roast it. I nod, taking a deep breath to prepare me for what we're going to have to discuss next.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Love writing this story, I totally ship Caleb and Prim ;p Jkjk, they're too young! xD

Anyway, don't forget to comment and vote. The more votes I get, the quicker I'll update. Okay? :)

Love you all <3