Chapter 8

Piper rolled around in her bed, letting herself wake up and adjust to the light peacefully, she reached for her phone that was sharing the bed with her, no missed calls, no messages.
She put the phone down and sighed, she hadn't heard from or seen Caleb since he dropped her off a few days ago, when she got home that day her parents had been out, and Miranda had left her wallet and phone on their kitchen counter along with a note apologizing for what she had done. Piper was angry and threw the note in the garbage, she had eventually forgiven her.

It was now a few days into August, she stayed in her bed, wondering why Caleb never called her, she wished she couldve gotten his number, if only she had her phone with her, she sighed when she thought of that night and day with him, the things she would've done differently, maybe it was just a game for him, he just wanted to see how far he could get with her.

She rubbed her face and rolled out of bed, it looked like a beautiful day outside, she decided she was going to dress up and enjoy it, maybe she would text Miranda and see if she wanted to hangout, she hopped in the shower and took her time, she let her music play loud as she washed herself, she sang along and let Caleb slip her mind for a while, her parents had left a day earlier, they went on a little get away with dads new boss and his wife, it was nice to be trusted again to stay home alone.

Piper got out of the shower and dried herself off, she left her hair natural and it dried in long beautiful waves, she chose short shorts and a tank top for her outfit of the day, she texted Miranda who unfortunately turned down her invite to hang out, apparently she was having boy troubles also, piper wasn't really Disappointed, she was still kind of bitter for the whole leaving her downtown thing.

She picked up her purse and put it around her shoulder, she grabbed a pair of sunglasses and headed out the door and downstairs to the lobby of her building, she looked down for a second making sure she had her phone in her pocket, when she looked up she saw Caleb, he looked at her and laughed "wow we have to stop meeting this way" she was speechless,  what was he doing here? She looked at him and looked around him, his car was parked out front, she looked back to him, " you just in the neighborhood? Why didn't you call?" She looked at him a little confused, "I've been busy, I apologize, believe me I've thought about you everyday" Piper snorted and looked away shaking her head, "you're smooth Caleb, really, you were too busy to shoot me a text or a five second call?" She looked him directly in the eyes, his expression said it all, he was hurt and she instantly felt ashamed, " fuck I'm sorry, I'm an idiot I assume people are assholes who don't mean what they say" she played with the hem of her top nervously, he kissed her cheek, she wasn't expecting it she looked to him slowly, "someone fucked you up real bad didn't they" he asked watching her,. Piper laughed and nodded, "you really were busy?" Caleb nodded and  lifted his hand, scouts honor, he said laughing, "I just had family shit to deal with"  she nodded her head, if anyone could understand that, she could.

"You owe me a date, I'm supposed to be getting to know you, remember?" He pulled her to him, towering over her he leaned in and kissed her softly, she blushed and kissed back, fully aware of the other people in the lobby who were witnesses to this whole thing, he stepped  away and held her hand, as they walked outside, a man held the door for them, "Caleb" the man nodded,  Caleb answered back with a quick nod,. " He knows you?" Piper asked Caleb curiously,
"Everyone knows me, doll"  he answered smiling at her.
She rolled her eyes, and didn't bother to ask him how everyone knew him.

They got into his car and pulled away from the building, "so where to' Piper asked excitedly, she was starving so she didn't really care where or what they ate, "how 'bout the cafe" he asked, she nodded and giggled, "I'll try not to cause a scene this time" she replied.

Once they arrived and got their food, they decided to sit outside at the tables, it was a beautiful day, to nice to be indoors, they talked while they ate and got to know eachother, Piper filled him in on past events, such as her ex and her mild and short lived drug use, which she hoped didn't turn him off of her, she told him about herself and the move from California and how her parents were finally trusting her again enough to leave her alone, she answered all the questions he had for her, he in returned answered what he could for her about his life, he left out huge parts that he knew he could never share with her, the thought crossed his mind, 'would she be sitting here talking to him if she knew?'
A hour had passed and it was good not to feel like strangers anymore Piper thought to herself, "so why don't you have a girlfriend", it shot out of her mouth like word vomit, she turned red and looked at her drink infront of her, Caleb sat back in his seat and looked at her, "why are you so embarrassed, where's your confidence?" She shrugged her shoulders,
" I dont have time for girlfriends, anyway, none of the girls here interest me" he said waiting and watching for her reaction, she winced slightly "ouch" she thought, really though what did she think was going to come of this? "Hmm" she replied giving a nod and looking away.
Caleb didn't mean to hurt her feelings but it was the truth, he didn't have time, it was just an honest answer.