Chapter 1

-She thought to herself.. she had never seen a man so beautiful or eyes so blue, yet here he was and there they were staring at her full of rage, fear and sadness, and before she turned away she could swear a tear had fallen from the troubled man before her, she didn't dare turn back to make sure, she closed her eyes for a moment, drew in a breath and walked away.

6 months earlier.

JULY 6TH

I woke to the sound of the rain hitting my window and the thunder clapping in the far off distance, i rolled over to look out the window and watch it for a while, it was peaceful.. I love the rain, but in California it wasn't a regular occurrence.

The day started off just as normal as every other day, I looked at my dog Polka, who was still sleeping quietly at my feet I smiled inwardly at how her paws wiggled as she slept.

"Polka! Wake up girl, you're dreaming"

Polka looked at me, wagged her tail and jumped off the bed, running to her food I'm sure.

I sat at my desk and looked in the mirror,
I gazed at the girl staring back at me as I applied some makeup, just mascara and lipstick usually, I had a great skin complexion so I didn't wear much makeup though I did love putting it on, I have long brown hair, with deep blue eyes that change to a lighter shade of blue in the sun light, i finished with my makeup and got dressed, I threw on some sweat pants and a sweater because clearly, I wouldn't be leaving the house today, I gave myself a once over in the long mirror beside my door, I noticed that I had lost a little weight but that nor excited or upset me, I'm happy with my shape, a nice curvy body, I wasn't over or under weight, I infact thought I had a great body, not that it really matters, I screwed my face up at myself and walked downstairs.

"Good morning love, nice of you to join us on this rainy day"

"Morning dad, morning mom, really though.. what's up with the weather?"

"Well hun it speaks for this for a few days, can you believe it, what have we done to deserve this" my dad joked as my mom laughed

I smiled, "I enjoy it actually, I wish it rained more often, I could get used to the rain"

I noticed my mom look at my dad, it was a quick glance but I caught it.

"What?"

"Well pipe" my dad started

( which is my nickname by the way my name is Piper good too meet ya )

"Yeah dad, what's up,?" I was beginning to feel concerned, am I dieing or something what's going on here.

"Well, I recieved a phone call yesterday about a job I inquired about, in New York"

My dad was a little giddy I noted as he continued.

"I fly out in a few days to check it out and to checkout a condo that the company has reserved us"

I cut my father off completely in a panic.

" You're leaving us for new york? Dad how could you?"

My mom giggled and I couldn't possibly understand what was funny at this particular moment in time.

"No baby, he said 'us', we're going with him" mom said slowly and reassuringly

My dad smiled and started rambling on about this great new adventure my mom laughed and I felt betrayed

"Don't you think it's a little soon? You guys just sprung this on me what am I going to do there? I had plans, my friends, we had plans!" I walked around the kitchen to stand beside them, I desperately wanted this to be a joke.

"I know it's soon piper" dad began
"But it's a chance to grow for our family, we didn't mean to throw this on you, i hope you understand"

My mother watched for my reaction she knew I was upset, and I was.. at 19 your friends are your life and I needed them, and now I was leaving, a tear escaped my eye and I sobbed almost unknowingly.

"It's ok darling, you can come back for visits, it's not goodbye for good, it's goodbye for now" my mom wrapped her arms around me and rocked me as we stood, my dad rubbed my back and reassured me that it would be fine, that there would be friends in New York and that I could come see my friends and they could visit me.

"Yeah, I- I guess.. I mean, what can I say right? .. so when are we leaving... I need to say bye.. and nothing's packed, what about polka?!" I looked at them both, I could leave, I wouldn't have a choice but I refuse to leave my dog.

"We could never leave without polka, she is our guard dog" mom smiled as she nodded in polkas direction.

Polka who in return was sleeping soundly inches away from her food.

"Don't let her fool you" dad scoffed, "she's on red alert!"

We all smiled and laughed, which was soothing, I needed that to make it through the day, atleast I was going to have polka to keep me company.

As the day went on I called my closest friends and told them the news, there were tears and promises to come visit followed by more tears, I layed in my bed and looked around my room " I guess I should pack" I muttered to myself so I did just that, i packed and wondered about life in New York, what it was going to be like, how hard it would be to meet new people, we were moving into a luxurious cond, that was in Manhattan according to my mother, I had never been to New York but did see it in movies and I guess it was nice, but I mean really how cab you judge it by a movie, I rolled my eyes at the thought, don't be dumb piper.

After a long day of packing my room and going around with my parents I got into bed and looked out the window again, it was still raining, polka jumpedmup beside me.

"Atleast it rains more on New york," polka looked at me and wagged
"We'll like it there, won't we girl?" She yawned and closed her eyes.
I nodded and looked away from her,
"yup, the feeling is mutual polka"
I closed my eyes and thought about how often I would be alone there, my mom traveled alot for her job, and my dad is hardly home now as it is, I let the thought go over my head and I fell asleep, dreaming of the days events and the future ahead