Chapter 65: "The Contact"

"Alba..." Jack said, not sure of what else to say.

"I'm fine," she said, taking a handful of gold from the purse and setting it on the bar. "You did well. Very impressive for your first fight."

"Thanks," Jack said. "Maybe we should–"

Alba held up her hand for silence. Out in the street, they could hear the shouts of the city watch approaching. "We need to go."

After scanning the block, Alba led them to an empty stable across the street. Through the slits in the thin wall, they saw a handful of city watchmen in light armor follow the inn keep into The Crimson Trout. After a moment, there were more shouts and one of the watchmen took off in a full sprint down the street.

"They're going to seal the town," Alba whispered. "We'll never be able to leave."

"I could help," a raspy voice whispered from behind.

Alba whipped around, drawing her hunting knife. She grabbed in the shadows at a pile of rags and the beggar underneath. "Who are you? Some troublemaker like your friends inside? Did you hear what I did to them?"

"Everyone in Rivermill heard," the beggar said, his sardonic tone punctuated by painful gasps as Alba tightened her grip. "Maybe I should have opened with the words."

"What words?" Alba hissed.

The beggar sighed and recited, in a singsongy voice, "Do you seek shelter from the pale moonlight?"

Alba gasped, immediately releasing the beggar and lowering her knife.

"Well, come on, let's make it official," the beggar said. "I need to hear the response."

"I seek only solace from the rain," Alba recited. "You're the Resistance contact?"

"The name's Mercer. Not what you're expecting, but then again that's the whole point, isn't it? Besides, no one minds a poor beggar sulking around within earshot."

Jack twisted, trying to see under Mercer's heavy hood. "Do you know us?"

Mercer looked at him for the first time, eyes reflecting pinpoints of light beneath the shadow of the hood. "We've met, though you were preoccupied at the time."

Jack searched his memory and found only one possibility. "Ahkard. You were one of the beggars we passed when Korda took us prisoner."

Mercer nodded. "You looked much different back then. Must less...of this world."

"Let me see your face," Alba said.

He hesitated. "Alright. Don't say I didn't warn you." His scarred hands moved up and slowly pulled the wool back.

Jack barely caught himself from gasping. Mercer's head was completely burned, not an inch of skin untouched. His nose was sunk in, lips puffed out, brow flattened. Thin whips of hair were all that covered his leathery head and only two small holes remained of his ears. Melted flesh hung down over his eyes, almost blinding him on one side.

While Jack wrestled to contain his knee-jerk repulsion, Alba held Mercer's gaze, unfazed by the reveal. "Why did you join the Resistance?"

"You're not very trusting, are you?" Mercer said, pulling his hood back over his face.

"I wasn't expecting the contact to be a stranger."

"Fair enough. I joined the Resistance the moment the King signed a peace with Cera and appointed that bastard his Chancellor. And I'll stay with the Resistance until Cera is dead and the magicborn in that tower are freed."

That seemed to satisfy Alba for the moment. "Can you take us to Talon?"

"Yes," Mercer said, his voice trailing off, implying a complication. "The Resistance's new camp is a bit out of the way. In fact, it's not even in Guildron. The only way there is through a portal and the closest portal is in Bashir."

"So we need to get back on the road," Jack said.

The quiet night was suddenly broken by a bell tolling in the distance.

Mercer sighed. "Yes, well unfortunately your little incident in the Crimson Trout has the city watch on alert. There's a farm about a mile downriver and the owner is friendly to the Resistance. Once you two are fed and rested, we'll figure out a way to get into Bashir."

"How do we get pass the watch?" Alba asked.

"There's a cistern that leads into the river. It'll be unguarded now that the watch is busy locking down the rest of the town, but we have to move now."

"Alright," Alba said, deciding for Jack. "Just one more question."

"Oh, just one?" Mercer smirked.

"You're supposed to be in Bashir. How did you know we'd be in Rivermill?" Jack could see Alba's sword arm tense, like a spring pulled back in anticipation.

"I assume by those clothes and that knife you visited our supply cache at the Wayland family's ruined castle? When I heard you'd vanished from the King's court without any supplies, I figured you'd turn up there and, eventually, make your way to Rivermill. Now, I'd be more than happy to answer any more questions about the Resistance, my decision-making process, or my bloody life's story, once we're a few miles away from anyone who wants to arrest or kill you."

Alba's arm relaxed. "Alright then. Get us out of here."