Chapter 44: "Into the Wild"

"Take your time," Rufus said, crouching beside Jack. "Don't jump to a guess. Just look at the clues."

Taking a deep breath, Jack focused on the ground in front of him, trying to shut out the noises of the forest. They were near the bottom of Hallett Peak, a summit that straddled the Continental Divide in the middle of Rocky National Park. Four days ago, Rufus had led him right out the front door of Ward Manor and into the park with just the packs on their backs. The Rockies were always popular this time of year, so Rufus had insisted they stay as far from the roads and hiking trails as possible. Unfortunately, that also meant a slow, arduous trek through dense brush and rocky terrain.

"Come on," Rufus pressed. "It'll be on the other side of the park before you figure out what it is."

Jack bit back a retort. Arguing would only make Rufus go harder on him. He looked at the ground, moving his eyes over each twig and leaf and blade of grass.

"Squirrel," Jack finally said, taking a stab in the dark.

"Too small," Rufus sighed.

"Beaver."

"Do you see a river nearby?"

"Bigfoot!" Jack immediately regretted that. He glanced over to Rufus and saw the older man glaring down at the tracks. "Sorry."

Rufus sighed again and stood. "How did you survive four days in Guildron?"

Jack shrugged. "I had help."

"You got lucky," Rufus corrected. "The next time you're there, if there is a next time, you won't want to rely on luck to keep you fed and sheltered and safe."

"I know, I know," Jack muttered. Every since they left the Manor, every moment had been a test and Jack knew he was failing. A month ago, he would thrown down his pack after the first mile and called a cab. But now, with every failure, he only had to recall the utter helpless he had felt on the executioner's platform and that was more than enough to keep him moving. Closing his eyes, Jack drove the frustration from his mind and reviewed the five basic steps to animal tracking that Rufus had taught him. Looking back at the ground, he found faint imprints in the grass, broken sticks, and rustled leaves. He gaged their size, shape, and gap between strides. "Fox."

This time, Rufus smiled.

"It's a fox?" Jack said, letting the enthusiasm creep into his voice.

"It's a raccoon. But you're trying." Rufus glanced at the sun. "We've only got another hour or two of good daylight so we'll make camp here. Go find some berries and I'll tell you if any of them are poisonous. If you're lucky, I might even tell you before you eat them."

*     *     *

"Head down, right foot back, left arm out, chin to chest," Jack recited, twisting his body to match his words.

Rufus shook his head. "Head down, left foot back, right arm out, chin to chest. And loosen your muscles, you look like a mannequin. You're presenting yourself to the king, not modeling the spring line."

Biting back a retort, Jack readjusted himself and lowered his body in a bow. "Your excellency."

"Mayors are excellencies. Kings are majesty or grace. Again."

Standing straight again, Jack rehearsed the movement of the bow, lowering his head and saying, in a voice heavy with respect, "Your majesty."

"Better!" Rufus said, slapping him on the back and nearly throwing him off balance. "If you're ever captured in Guildron and brought to court, at least they won't think you a simpleton."

"Oh joy," Jack said, leaning forward and rolling onto the ground. Laying his body flat, he let his muscles groan in protest after a full week of stress. Far off in the distance, a coyote howled, momentarily silencing the crickets before they continued their evening symphony.

"Do you ever miss the sky?" Jack asked, staring up at the night sky. Even this far from civilization, Earth's night sky could hardly compare to Guildron's. Out here, the moon was a bit brighter and a few more stars poked through the darkness, but no brilliant swaths of color and light painted the black.

"It's been so long, I can hardly remember it," Rufus said, reclining against his pack across the camp fire.

The fire had been another test. Tonight, for the first time, Jack had ignited it all by himself. Sure, it took a dozen attempts and the burn marks on his arms would take weeks to heal, but he had done it all the same.

"What will you do when you get back?" Jack said.

Rufus kept staring up. "That's a problem I don't mind solving until it happens."

"You could write a book, about a strange world where people fly around in metal tubes and talk to each other hundreds of miles away on cell phones."

Rufus grinned. "I'd have to sell it as a fantasy. No one would believe me."

They both laughed.