Chapter 30: "Life Saver"

In the time it took Jack to throw off his pelt blanket and stand up, it was all over.

"They've found us!" Archer had shouted. "We have to–"

An explosion of sand and sound filled the cave, echoing into a cacophony before it suddenly ended. A knight appeared, shimmering in full plate armor, his face hidden behind a towering helmet. Archer tried to attack, but his sword could only scratch the metal. The knight responded with a solid punch in the gut, sending Archer to the floor.

Alba leapt clear of the knight and was reaching for a knife when another blast of sand knocked her to one knee. She reached her a blade strapped to her ankle but a second knight kicked her hard, sending her rolling on her back. A third and forth blast filled the cave and another pair of knights approached Saunder, who merely held up his hands.

Then, the cave grew strangely quiet. The knights kept Archer and Alba on the ground with the threat of their sword tips and Saunder sat obediently on the floor, hands visible. For a few seconds, no one moved.

A fifth explosion of sand filled the cave and quickly faded, depositing a fifth knight. But Jack immediately knew this man was different.

He approached Jack with a smooth, confident gait, his open helm framing a young and handsome face. His armor was so polished and decorated, Jack thought it more for show than actual battle. A cape of fine gold and purple silk flowed gracefully as the knight walked and he held his sword loosely at his side, like he knew he wouldn't need it.

The knight sized Jack up and down, his face contorting in confusion. "Are you Jackson Ward?"

"Yes, sir," Jack said, not sure why he added the sir.

"'Yes, your grace,'" one of the others knights said tersely.

Your grace? Jack looked at the knight again, taking in the fine armor, decorated sword, and commanding youth. He was no mere knight. He had to be royalty. But if these were the King's Men...

"You're a prince!" Jack said, immediately feeling foolish.

The other knights looked at one another, their helmets masking their emotions.

The prince's eyes darted between Jack's, as if trying to read the thoughts behind them. "You are Jackson, son of Marcus, Ward of the Realm and Hero of the Red River?"

Jack nodded, feeling like somewhat of a disappointment against his father's titles. "That's me."

The prince shot a glance back at the knights, whose emotions were masked behind their helmets. "Very well, Master Ward," he finally said with the faintest shrug. "I am Prince Korda Wayland. It would be my honor to escort you back to my father's court. He has been anxious to meet the son of one of his most trusted and beloved warriors."

"Liar!" Archer said, earning him a hard slap to the head.

Prince Korda regarded Archer with a sinister grin. "So this is it? The great Talon sends you three to rescue Marcus Ward's son from the armies of Cera? Two children and..." He examined Saunder. "Who are you?"

Saunder's eyes grew wide and he fell to one knee, much to the shock of Archer and Alba. "Your grace, I am a humble fisherman, but I once served your father in The War of the Roads. I fought for him at the Siege of Harborguard and the Red River. And I swear to you, the boy is not what you think he is."

Jack raised in eyebrow.

"I see," the royal said, equally surprised. "Well, you are an odd lot." He looked to Jack and smiled. "It's a good thing we found you when we did. Who knows how long you'd have lasted with these rebels."

"He'll last longer with us than with the coward king," Archer said.

Prince Korda's polite smile didn't waver, but with one look, the knight standing over Archer kicked in the back, sending him flat onto the cave floor with a painful yelp.

"Stop it!" Jack shouted. Everyone stared at him, then looked to the prince, who regarded Jack curiously. "Please."

Korda tilted his head to one side, pondering the boy. "I know that this realm is a much different place from when your father left. It is difficult to know who to trust but I assure you, the king wishes only to speak with you and offer protection as befits your birth. These people." He nodded to Archer and Alba. "They mean to steal you away so that pompous sorcerer who doesn't even have a real name can use you for whatever perverse magic he wants."

"Don't listen to him, Jack!" Alba shouted, before one of the knight slapped her across the cheek.

Korda ignored the violence, keeping his eyes on Jack. "I can see you're having some trust issues right now. Believe whomever you like but the fact of the situation is this: I am delivering you to my father."

Jack looked around the cave to his companions. Archer's eyes blazed in fury at the prince. Saunder gazed at the floor, wanting nothing to do with them. Alba rubbed her cheek and stared back at Jack, her face a canvas of fear and dread. Ever so slowly, she turned her head back and forth, mouthing something. "Don't trust him."

"Master Ward?" Korda urged, his smile still pleasant. "My father awaits."

"I'll go," Jack said. "But they stay."

Alba locked her jaw shook her head more violently this time. Korda didn't pay her any attention but shook his head as well. "Impossible. These are three traitors to the crown."

"I am not!" Saunder protested.

"These are two traitors to the crown and a very suspicious fisherman," Korda said. "I give you my word that they will be delivered safely to Ahkard where my father will pass judgment. As a friend of the crown, I'm sure you can petition on their behalf for leniency. My father is a fair and just ruler."

"No," Jack said as firmly as he could. He wondered if anyone had noticed his knees beginning to shake. "They saved my life."

Korda's smile dipped. "I see. You merely wish to return the favor."

Jack nodded.

"So be it." Korda walked to Alba, grabbed her by the hair and drew a dagger out. "Come with me or I will slit her throat."

"No!" Jack immediately shouted. "I'll go!"

"There," Korda said, sheathing the blade and releasing Alba. "You just saved her life."

Korda made another motion with his hands and the knights sprung into action, binding the three prisoners in rope and arranging them around Korda. The prince nodded to one of his knights, who took a pouch from his belt and held it high.

Jack closed his eyes and sucked in his breath.

The feeling of sand blasting across his face was now eerily familiar. In an instant, the cold mountain air gave way to warmth and the smell of grass. Jack opened his eyes to find a windswept sea of green grass and cloudless blue sky. Ahead of him, the ground swept upward like an emerald wave, cresting at a bluff about a half mile away.

This was where the army stood.