Chapter 46: "First Draft"

Kate was expressionless as she read the outline rough draft, her eyes darting quickly down the paragraphs, lips occasionally mouthing a word or two. Hands clasped together across the desk, Jack waited anxiously.

They were in one of the spare rooms that had become Jack's office. The bed and dresser had been replaced with a desk, computer, high-speed printer, industrial paper shredder, and a fax machine with a direct, secure line to the publisher's office. The walls were lined with dry erase boards that Jack hoped to soon cover in character names, scenes, timelines, and notes. Marcus's pen sat on a small display metal stand next to the computer.

Rufus meanwhile had taken up residence in Marcus's old office, where he spent most of his time studying Marcus's journal and making a one of his own. Jack was more than happy to let him work there. It would have felt wrong working at his father's desk, struggling to write a fantasy sequel to his father's historical epic. Of course, Jack wouldn't be writing anything unless he convinced the publishers. The first hurdle was this one-page, single spaced outline for his story. Except it wasn't really his story.

Holding his breath, Jack braced himself as Kate reached the end of the page. Her brow furrowed and she looked up at him, her expression anything but encouraging. "Are you serious?"

Jack exhaled. "I know it's a little bold."

"Bold?" She looked back down at the page. "Let me see if I can summarize this: Guildron's greatest hero, Cera, mysteriously disappears then randomly reappears as the leader of the army he already defeated? Oh, and then there's Wayland, Guildron's greatest king, who becomes a fat, pervy drunk and starts taking innocent people hostage."

"So you hate it?"

"Everyone will hate it," Kate said. "This is like writing an Indiana Jones movie where Indy befriends some neo-Nazis and they go rob museums together."

"I get that it's unexpected."

"No," Kate cut him off, shaking her head. "Darth Vader being Luke's father was unexpected. This is insane. This is Frodo handing the One Ring to Sauron and saying 'Hey, let's go burn down the Shire together.' Jack, the nerds will kill you."

"I know, I know," Jack said, raising his hands in frustration. "I know it's crazy and people might not like it but this is what happened!"

"What are you talking about? When did this happen?"

Jack paused and looked away, his mind racing to construct an answer. "Rufus found dad's journal." That much was the truth, at least.

"Your dad kept a journal? And this was in it?"

"There were some notes about what came next in the series," Jack lied.

"Cera and Wayland both turn rotten?"

Jack nodded.

"And then what?"

Jack hadn't thought of that. His outline of book seven had ended right around the time his experience in Guildron had, with Cera's army laying siege to Akhard. He hadn't even had time to consider book eight.

"I don't know," Jack said. "His notes ended there."

"So this," Kate held up the paper, "is Marcus's?"

"No," Jack said, trying not to sound offended. "He just had notes. I filled in the rest."

Kate stared at him, her face aghast. She laughed curtly, sliding the page across the desk to him and shook her head. "I can't believe you."

"What?" Jack said. Kate's sudden shift in mood caught him completely off guard.

"Why did you not tell me about your father when we met?" she asked.

The question was so random, so bizarrely out of left field, Jack tripped over his answer. "Because, I...I hadn't told anyone."

"And why did you want to keep it a secret?"

Jack flashed back to his conversation with Mr. Robinson last December. Had it really been that recent? It felt like years. "I didn't want to be known as the son of Marcus Ward."

"And now, you're writing the continuation of your father's books, using you're father's notes."

"It's not that simple," Jack said. The truth was on the tip of his tongue: a single explanation that would solve everything.

"It seems simple to me," Kate said. "If you take this to the publisher, how do you think they'll react?"

"This is what dad wanted."

"And you're going to tell them that?"

"It may have been dad's idea, but this is my writing."

"So you're going to lie," Kate said.

Believe me, I'm used to that, Jack thought. "It's my book."

"It's not good!" Kate said flatly.

Jack tried to respond but her blunt critique robbed him of all words.

An abrupt silence flooded the room and Kate quickly shook her head. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say it like that."

"It was honest," Jack said, distantly. "I have to appreciate that."

Kate sighed. "I know you're a great writer. I just don't understand why you wouldn't tell your own story."

Jack smiled, but inside he felt disconnected. He knew that, from Kate's point of view, she was completely right. But how could he alter the story of Guildron after living through it? Lying to the world about a fake Guildron would be even more painful than lying to Kate about the real one.

Suddenly, unexpectedly, he remembered Saunder, Archer, and Alba: three people who had most likely died rescuing him. How would they feel if Jack wrote of a heroic Cera and an honorable King Wayland? Jack knew he would rather face a thousand indignant fans rather than tarnish their memory with a fantasy of lies. There was simply no other option.

"This is the story," he said, putting a hand on the outline. "This is how it has to be."

"Fine. You're the big-shot writer." Kate stood, running her hands through her short hair and tying it a disorderly ponytail. "Look, clearly we're having an off day. Why don't you fly out to campus next week? I've got some freshman orientations but I'm all free on Saturday."

Jack glanced down. Rufus had already planned their next trip into the park to coincide with the new moon. By Saturday, they should be halfway to the Continental Divide. Rufus was going to teach Jack to navigate by the stars. Of course, knowing Earth's astronomy wouldn't do him any good in Guildron, so Rufus also had him studying Guildron's star charts.

"I can't make it on Saturday. Maybe next week?"

Kate stared back, her face emotionless, and abruptly stood.

"Sure," she said, the word escaping as a breath and she turned to leave.

Jack knew he should go after her, stand and fight, or do something. But what could he say, what could he do to make her understand? Instead, he just sat there, paralyzed by uncertainty.

Kate knew it too. As she approached the door, she slowed in step, glancing back only to see Jack staring at her, dumbstruck.

Without stopping, Kate turned into the hallway and was gone. Jack let her go.