Chapter 5: "No Relation"

They met the next day at a café across the street from the school. Each brought copies of their books and a collection of literary criticism of each of their authors.

"You really found that much?" Jack said as Kate set the thick stack on their table with an audible thud. A dozen paper tabs stuck out of the pages like blades of neon grass.

"Well, most of these argue that Marcus Ward was the literary genius of his century." Kate picked up a thin magazine that Jack had never heard of. "This is actually the only negative article I could find on him. Maybe my nostalgia argument isn't so accurate after all."

"I think you were on to something."

Kate opened her bag and pulled out an ancient-looking laptop as thick as a dictionary. "Alright, let's get started. My aunt only gave me one bus pass and they stop this route at seven." She opened a new document. "'Examining Popular Fantasy Stories Through the Lens of Nostalgia' by Kate Bennett and Jack..."

"Ward," he said without a second thought.

Kate typed the name out then paused. "Jack Ward?"

The casual curiosity in her voice put Jack on alert. He had to reply quickly, but not so fast as to make it seem rehearsed. First, he gave a dismissive chuckle. "Hah, no relation. I wish, though! You think I would be in school if my dad was a billionaire writer?"

"I guess you were, you wouldn't have wanted to partner with me."

"Or maybe I'm just really frustrated with only being known for my dad's success and with everyone's unrealistic expectations of me."

They both laughed, but for different reasons.

"Alright, Jack 'No Relation' Ward, let's do some contrasting." Kate started typing when her phone buzzed, displaying a message just out of Jack's vision. Kate's gaze darted down for an instant before returning to the screen, her eyes tightening as she typed.

"Everything okay?" Jack asked.

"It's all cool." Her voice said something else. "My aunt's new boyfriend is taking her to the casinos in Oklahoma tonight. Which I assume means she'll come back home around Sunday afternoon, alone and without our rent."

"Oh," Jack said, trying to think of something to say. "Do you need a ride home?"

"I'll take the bus." Kate said without looking up.

Her hint was loud and clear, but Jack couldn't let it go. Kate was something he had never experienced before: a genuine friend. At his private school in Denver, most all of his friends turned out to be rabid fans looking to get one step closer to their favorite author Marcus Ward. And they had all fit a little too comfortably in their roles as young aristocrats, the sons and daughters of the elite who happily enjoyed their unearned wealth. Preston and the rest of the Business Club were not much better. They all talked and acted like they were wearing masks, performing roles given to them by their families.

But Kate was different. Kate wore no mask. She was honest, unapologetic, and genuine in the most infectious way. Even though they had just met, Jack already liked her more than any of his other so-called friends. Of course, she was also gorgeous and, most important, not at all a fan of Marcus Ward. For the first time in his life, Jack didn't want to be with any other person.

And he couldn't stand seeing her disappointed.

"So, you don't have plan tonight?"

"I guess since aunt's gone, I could binge a season of Gilmore Girls."

"Come to the Business Club Christmas party with me," Jack said.

Kate's eyes shot up, first in incomprehensible confusion. Then, a smile crept across her face and a single laugh escaped her lips. "The Business Club Christmas party? Like, on someone's dad's yacht, with spiked eggnog, and a string quartet playing Christmas carols?"

"Not exactly. It's at a hotel and there's no quartet but the eggnog will probably end up spiked if Reina gets close enough."

Kate leaned back in her chair, crossing her arms. "Preston wouldn't let me study at your table so I guess he'll be thrilled when you bring me to his swanky party instead of some debutante."

"I really don't care what Preston thinks," Jack said. She was right, though. Preston would probably throw a fit but part of Jack actually wanted to see that.

"He might kick you out of the Club."

That is true, Jack thought. College. Business school. That was the goal. He had to keep playing the game, just a little longer.

Except, sitting next to Kate, the game just seemed silly. "Forget Preston and the Club. Come out with me."

Kate kept her eyes on her laptop, though she had stopped typing. Jack strained to keep all of his nervous ticks in check and fought the urge to jump up and blurt out how much he wanted to go out with her.

Finally, Kate sat back in her chair and glanced down at her Muppets t-shirt. "I can't go like this. I guess I'll need that ride after all." She tossed Jack one of the articles she'd brought. "After we finish."