Chapter 60: "The Patriot"

Jack didn't know when he finally dozed off. But he and Kate both shook when the cell door burst open. The cell suddenly filled with blinding light and the crackling sound of fire. Jack quickly rubbed his eyes and saw a single man enter the cell carrying a stool and a torch.

Korda Wayland looked nothing like the King. He barely stood out from the shadows in his simple black doublet. His hair was tied behind his head, where it hung loose without the weight of a golden crown. The man didn't even carry a ceremonial sword or dagger.

Closing the door behind him, Korda put the torch in a metal holder bolted to the wall before resting sitting on the stool.

Before he knew it, Rufus's lessons took over and Jack bowed his head. "Your grace."

"I'll have none of that here," Korda said, his voice low. Jack wondered if the knights were guarding the door. "I am no king." Jack wasn't sure how to respond and Korda went ahead anyway. "A lot has changed since you were here last, Master Ward."

"Cera doesn't know you're here," Jack guessed.

"The Lord Chancellor wouldn't approve of a King visiting the dungeons. Nor does he approve of me issuing orders, voicing opinions, or possessing any thoughts of my own."

"But you are the King," Alba said.

"In name alone." Korda rubbed his hands together. "My father had no choice but to surrender after the shield fell. Cera would have sacked the city, killed everyone. We sued for peace but Cera's terms were...costly. He took all of our generals, everyone who held any real power, and replaced them with his own men. He divided up the lands he conquered and bought off every lord at court And he named himself Chancellor."

"Why keep you alive?" Alba asked.

"For the name," Jack said, slowly understanding Cera's brilliance. "If he killed Wayland, Cera becomes a conqueror. The people would have a martyr to rally behind. This way, attacking Cera is an attack against the crown." Only one part of that theory was off. "But what happened to Arcus Wayland?"

"A grim irony. My father choked on the thigh bone of hen six months after the war ended. There was a hasty ceremony and Cera himself crowned me king. I am the Ruler of Guildron and as powerful as a clipped pigeon."

"And I'm guessing you risked a lot delaying my sentence and sneaking down here," Jack said. "As much as I really don't want to disappoint you on this, I swear I don't know how to open the portal. I don't know how it opened in the first place."

Korda leaned in a few inches, measuring his response, but then sighed. "I never truly believed you did it, Ward. And honestly, I don't know why Cera's so damn obsessed with that rock to begin with. Something's not right with the old man. I sometimes catch him muttering to himself but it sounds more like half of a conversation." Jack wanted to inquire further but Korda continued. "It doesn't matter. Cera is convinced you can open it. If you refuse him again..."

"Then why did you bother coming here at all?" Alba said.

"Because I am Korda Wayland, King of Guildron, and I'm sick of living on his thumb. There are those in Ahkard who are sick of it too but even together, we're not near powerful enough. There's only one man left in Guildron who can stand up to Cera. And you work for him."

Sitting so close together, Jack could feel Alba's body stiffen. "I used to. That was a long time ago. The Resistance is always on the move. I wouldn't even know how to find him."

"Talon is a traitor and an enemy of the crown," Korda said, like reciting a party line. "But I don't know any commander more loyal to his men. If one of his agents is out there, he'll do everything he can to bring you in." He motioned to Jack. "And if you're escorting Marcus Ward's son, Talon will move mountains to find you."

"No," Jack said.

Alba and Korda shared the same look of surprise.

"I came here for Kate," he continued. "All I care about it getting her home."

"And how will you take her there?" Korda asked. Jack couldn't reply. "I believe you can't open the portal. Talon is said to be the most powerful mage in Guildron, after Cera. If anyone can help you return home, it is he. Present yourself to him as a gesture of my good faith and tell him that he has friends in the White Palace."

"Fine," Jack said, scratching his chin. "I'll take your message to Talon. But I will not speak a word of it without Kate."

"It will not be easy arranging all three of your escapes together. It will be hard enough for you two."

"I wasn't giving you an option."

Finally, Korda nodded. "I swear on my name that I will help her escape safely to the Resistance."

Jack still wasn't entirely convinced but he didn't have any more room to negotiate. Alba leaned forward beside him. "Then how do we escape? Are you going to leave the door open?"

"The door will be locked behind me. I'm in no position to help you outright. But I can pass along some information." He abruptly stood, leaving the stool behind, and took the torch from the wall. "A few months ago, I changed the protocols of the palace guard. Just to be safe, they were each, issued a pouch of travel sand to be worn under their cloaks behind their scabbards." He reached into the pocket of his doublet and dropped a small but wicked looking dagger on the floor. "My soldiers also did a terrible job of searching you earlier. I'm not sure where you managed to hide that."

"I won't forget your promise," Jack said as the King left.

"And I won't forget yours," Korda said, closing and locking the cell door.