Chapter 33: "Homecoming"

A thousand thoughts and questions swirled in Jack's mind, each fighting for his attention. The man standing above him was foremost on that list but Jack could barely breathe. He sucked air in and out in quick, shallow gasps.

"Don't try to talk," the man said. His accent was on the cusp of British, maybe Australian. But his voice was kind and understanding. That only confused Jack more. "You're in shock. Stepping through a portal for the first time can do that. I'm surprised you're even conscious." Apparently, the man considered magical otherworldly portals to be a normal topic of conversation. "The human body needs time to transition between environments. Stepping through a portal robs it of that transition. Just give your body a moment to catch up. Focus on your breath. Slow it down."

Following the man's orders, Jack closed his eyes and focused. His breath began to slow. The engulfing wave of hysteria began to drain away and Jack felt himself return to normal. Carefully, he pushed himself into a sitting position and, this time, the library remained still around him. "Thanks. Now, who are you?"

"Rufus Dean," the man said with a broad smile, as if that were enough.

Jack searched his memory for Rufus Dean, but shook his head.

Rufus's smile fell slightly. "Of course your father wouldn't have mentioned me."

"You knew him?" Then, he put it all together. "You're from Guildron!"

"Rufus?" a voice called from the hallway. Jack's heart quickened. It was Kate.

Rufus's smile vanished and he leaned close to Jack, whispering, "Listen to me and do not argue. No matter what, do not tell anyone where you have been. Act confused and let me explain."

"Rufus?" Kate said, pushing through the open door. "The helicopter pilot said they could do another sweep before–" Her voice trailed off and she stared in shock at the young man lying on the floor. "Jack!" She ran, knocking over chairs and books and falling to her knees at his side. "What happened to you?"

Glancing down at himself, Jack suddenly realized how he must appear to everyone else: his clothes shredded, his body marred by cuts and bruises, his shoes layered in so much mud that they had turned to bricks.

"I found him like this," Rufus said, his voice suddenly breathless with shock. "He must have stumbled in through a side door."

Kate gingerly rubbed his cheek, tearing welling in her eyes. "Jack, where have you been?"

Jack opened and closed his mouth, glancing between Kate's heartbroken face and Rufus's stern eyes. "I don't...I can't..."

"He's delirious," Rufus said. He scooped Jack up with surprising ease and led them into the hall. "I'll take him to his room. Go get Harriet and call the doctor!"

"Okay," Kate said, though she showed no intention of leaving Jack's side. "You're going to be okay, Jack. You're okay."

"Go!" Rufus said. "He needs the doctor!"

Kate nodded, holding Jack's gaze for a second longer before running down the hall. As soon as she was out of sight, Rufus's anxious expression vanished. "You do need a doctor. Did you manage to eat or drink anything while you were there?"

"Not much," Jack said, feeling a little silly being carried to his room by a grown man. "I can walk on my own, you know."

"No you can't," Rufus insisted. "You had a mental breakdown after your father died and ran off into the woods. You got lost, sprained your ankle and have been wandering around for the last three days."