c h a p t e r • t w e n t y o n e

•••••••••••••••chapter twentyone•••••••••••••••

      By the time I'd worked up enough courage to stop sulking on the ground, the rain had barely stopped. My wet hair clung to my face as I moped along, dragging my bag along with me on the ground.

Honestly, I didn't think it'd hurt this much. Why does it hurt so much? I feel numb. I feel like everything I do, I just screw up. Maybe this was just post depression after being physically abused by my father, or maybe it was just my life.
Who can tell at this point.

It was early, and I technically had a class to go to, but screw it. I'm cold, I'm wet, and I'm sad. Intro to Entrepreneurship could wait until tomorrow.

I slushed across the Quad and into the dorm buildings, the cold air from the inside sending a chill up my spine. However, it wasn't my dorm building that I was walking into.
I managed to slump my way in the elevator and ride up a few floors. Once it dinged and let me off, I stepped into the hallway. I ignored the water squishing in my heels and the fact that my skirt was clinging in my legs. I walked down a bit further until I reached the door I wanted. I knocked a few times, waiting patiently for a response. I pushed my soaked hair out of my face as I heard movement from inside. The door knob jingled before the door swung open, revealing just the person I wanted to see.

"Penny? What the—" Benny, who was in the middle of buttoning up his white collared shirt in his uniform, stared at me shockingly.

"Hey," I shivered, giving him a week smile.

His hands gripped my shoulders, pulling me into the warmth of his dorm room. I wandered inside as he closed the door behind us.
He was quick to grab a blanket off the back of his couch and throw it over me.

"What the hell, P? Were you out in the rain?"

I threw my bag and blazer onto the ground and kicked off my shoes before slipping off my socks too.
"Yeah." I murmured.

"Uh, why?"

I shrugged. How am I going to explain it to him? "Hey, Benny! I really like your roommate and he likes me back but I won't let myself like him because my life is falling to shit and I'm very melodramatic!"? I don't think so.

He stared at me for a moment, watching my expression very carefully. Eventually, he sighed, probably taking the hint that I don't want to talk about it.
"Fine, don't tell me. You at least need to get out of those wet clothes."

I stood awkwardly as Benny left the living room in search of warm and dry clothes to wear. I was soaked from head to toe, maybe sulking in the rain was not a good idea. Benny eventually came back and threw some clothes at me; a very large old t-shirt of his and some plaid pajama pants that I doubt he even wears to bed. I smiled half heartedly before walking towards his bathroom to change.