c h a p t e r • t e n

••••••••••••••chapter ten••••••••••••••••As the morning began to show it's glimmering face, I watched as the sun rose above the horizon and turned the world around me gold

As the morning began to show it's glimmering face, I watched as the sun rose above the horizon and turned the world around me gold.
I sat on my bay window, looking out at the scene unfolding in front of me, with my elbow prompted up on my knee as it held my tired head in place.
I smiled weakly at the sunrise as it made me believe the world wasn't as black and white as I had thought it once was.

7:30 in the morning and I couldn't feel anymore at peace.

That is until my brother(s) burst through the front door of my dorm and ruin everything.

"Penelope!" Chris' voice yells from the hallway, followed by the slamming of the door and hollow footsteps against the wooden floors.

"In here," I replied half heartedly.

I listened as the echoing steps grew louder as they approached my door. In my peripheral vision I could see Benny walk in, followed by Chris and Tommy at his heels. They were all dressed neatly in their school uniforms, suggesting they already had their first classes of the day. It was almost weird seeing them in something that wasn't an expensive tux or sweatpants and T-shirts that hadn't been washed in weeks; there's no in between for them.

Chris, being Chris, instantly made himself comfortable as he flopped on my bed.
I swerved around and looked at them, my tired eyes scanning their faces.

"Nice dorm, P. Might have to come here more often." He chuckled as he tossed a throw pillow of my bed to make himself more comfortable than he already was.

"Sure, make yourself at home, Chris." I deadpanned.

He smiled and threw his hands behind his head and closed his eyes.
"Don't mind if I do."

My eyes involuntarily rolled themselves, I was too tired to argue.

"Jesus, Penn, you look like hell. Did you sleep at all last night?" Tommy asked, his inner-mom coming out.

"Yes, Bubba, I got some sleep. I'm fine." I lied, hoping he would drop the subject but knowing it was a long shot.

He gave me a 'seriously?' look, signifying that he knew I was lying.
I sighed and laid my head on my propped up knee.

"Okay, fine. I slept for maybe 4 hours last night. It's no big deal—"

He didn't push the subject any further because he'd knew there would be no use in arguing about it at this point. I can't magically go back in time to get more sleep. If I could, trust me, I would.

"You have class in," He brought his wrist up to his face. "2 and a half hours. You ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be." I shrugged, my voice coming out soft and broken.

Benny sighed and took his hands out of his pockets. He walked over to me and took my hands in his, dragging me out of my seat.

"C'mon," He said, pushing me towards my bathroom.