Diamonds & Pearls (27)-Red Mustangs, Tiger Tattoos, and The Danger of Strangers

Start from the beginning

            I ran down the second flight of stairs to the basement and roughly opened Rafiq’s bedroom door. He was gone too. He’d left without waking me. I walked into his makeshift room and plopped onto his bed. It creaked loudly under my weight. They’d left me home so I couldn’t interfere with them deciding my fate today. It wasn’t fair that I had to sit here alone and wait. I wanted to be there with them and I didn’t care how unconventional it was. The doorbell rang suddenly. I got up and walked back upstairs to the main level of the house before fetching a jilbab and hijab. I rushed to the door only to find no one there. I placed the chain on the door securely before opening it.

            No one was there. My stomach flipped nervously and I quickly slammed the door shut before fastening every single lock as fast my fingers would allow. I checked the back door and the door to the basement to make sure they were locked before rushing up to my bedroom and closing myself inside. Something strange was going on, I could feel it. I slowly walked over to my window and reached for the curtain. My hand shook slightly and I took a deep breath. I made a small slit in the curtain and looked out of the window. Upon a first look, the street looked normal. As usual, it was busy with passing cars, buses, and people. But then my eyes locked onto a red mustang with black racing stripes parked across the street. I quickly backed away from the window. No, it couldn’t be. He was in jail for sure.

            I grabbed my cell phone and dialed the new emergency number Aiken had given Raf and me a few days ago. “Come on…pick up!” I muttered nervously, my hands trembling.

            “Assalamu alaikum,” Aiken’s voice said after a few seconds. They were the longest seconds I’d ever experienced in my life. I rudely ignored his salams out of pure panic.

            “Aiken, Erik’s car is parked outside of my house and I’m home alone. W-what do I do? How is he not in jail? How did he get out-” I blurted, my heart leaping painfully within my chest. I was scared and very alone.

            “Daleela, calm down. I know for a fact Erik is still in police custody.” Aiken responded calmly. “What you’re saying isn’t possible.”

            “I know what I see!” I screeched while holding my cell phone so tightly that my fingers were starting to go numb. I heard him sigh slightly.

            “Alright,” Aiken said, giving in. “Do you want me to sit in front of your house in my car until someone from your family comes home?”

            “N-no.” I stuttered, peeking out of the window once more. The car was still sitting across the street. I noticed someone was getting out of the car and I held my breath. A woman with deep brunette curls got out of the driver’s seat and walked up to the door of a house several doors down the sidewalk. I was wrong. Erik was still where he was supposed to be and I was losing my mind. “I’m sorry, it’s fine. I shouldn’t have called you. It isn’t your responsibility to deal with my paranoia.”

            “Daleela, I can come.” Aiken said in an exasperated tone.

            “I won’t call again. I just panicked and reacted stupidly. You’re right. Erik’s where he’s supposed to be.” I mumbled in embarrassment. “Assalamu alaikum.”

            “Da-” I quickly hung up the phone and let my face fall into my hands as I calmed my racing heart.

            “Stupid,” I groaned. Then I remembered the doorbell! What the hell was that about? I went back to the window and looked down at the street near our front door. A few people were walking by, heading to their destination. But one man was lingering near our front patch of yard. He was on the phone. The man turned a little. That’s when I saw what almost looked like the notorious tiger tattoo that Howards’ men always donned sitting on the back of his neck. I fell backwards onto my bed in shock. I wasn’t completely sure but what if it really was one of them? Before I could truly react, my cellphone rang. Assuming it was Aiken, I shakily answered without glancing at the caller ID. “Aiken!”