6. expect the unexpected

Începe de la început

"As a first order of business, let me place you all in your seating arrangements." He says. Nearly every person in the classroom groans when he says this. He begins placing the students at their designated tables. Starting on the side of the room that Gryffindor has claimed, he begins with them. He mostly keeps the two house separate from each other. I guess the rivalry between the two houses really is a known fact. 

Finally, he points towards a table towards the back of the classroom. "Ah, Ms. Ashwood. You will be right here, next to Mr. Malfoy." He says as he gestures to two spots along the table. I nod my head. "My, you look just like your mother." He says. I freeze. "Y-you knew my mother?" I ask quietly. He nods his head, smiling. "Of course. I know your whole family. I taught both your parents, they are both extremely bright. Your Grandfather and I were quite good friends back in the day as well." He says. I widen my eyes in surprise. Before I can even respond, he moves on with the seating arrangements. "Suck up." Malfoy mumbles, under his breath. I roll my eyes. 

While every other table had 4 people, ours was just me and Malfoy. I assumed this was because he was my tutor, but I wasn't too fond of the fact that it was just him and me together. I noticed Arden is seated next to Pansy, unfortunately. She looks as if she is resisting the urge to strangle the rude girl. I can't help but smile to myself. 

The class awaits for professor Slughorn to give instructions, "Today we will be making an Elixir to induce Euphoria. The instructions are on page 66 of your books. This potion is known to cure depression, and create a sense of happiness. You must add peppermint leaves however, if not side effects include abrupt singing, and nose tweaking. Good luck." He says. 

So basically we were making the Wizard version of heroin? I think to myself as I pull out my brand-new potions book. 

I read the instructions;

Add peppermint until the potion turns red. Add shrivelfig until the potion turns turquoise. Stir until it turns blue. Allow the potion to simmer till it turns yellow. Add porcupine quills till the potion turns blue. Allow the potion to simmer till it turns purple. Add seven castor beans. Allow the potion to simmer till it turns brown. Add shrivelfig till the potion turns pink. Allow the potion to simmer till it turns orange. Add wormwood till the potion turns yellow.

I read through the instructions. "What the hell?" I say as I turn to Malfoy. He rolls his eyes. "Just be quiet and watch what I do." He says. This irritates me. "Aren't you supposed to be teaching me?" I ask. "How can I teach someone who has the same experience level as a first year?" He growls. I sigh. He has a point. I figure maybe it is for the best that I observe. I can still learn through observation, right? 

7 classes later, and the first day is done. I honestly thought it would never end considering the hell Draco Malfoy had put me through all day. Every class was a repeat of potions. He would tell me just to watch what he did, or copy his work. Anything that followed was an awkward silence or snide remark on how "I wasn't even trying to observe."

I meet up with Capri outside my classroom, and smile knowing I'm done for the day. "Well, how was it?" She smirks referring to my day spent with the demon himself. "Absolutely awful." I groan. We begin walking down the hall before Malfoy catches up with us. 

"Ashwood!" He shouts. I simply stop and groan. "What do you want now?" I sneer as I turn around. "Meet me on the 7th floor, in front of the large tapestry at 5:30. Don't be late." He says. I furrow my brows. "Why? Can't get enough of me?" I smirk. "Already forgetting about our tutoring sessions? And besides quite opposite really, I'd say I've actually had too much of you." He snarls. "Likewise." I sigh.

* * * * *

I lay in my bed, staring at the ceiling as today's events replay in my head. It was hard to miss basically every curious glance thrown my way. What's better than an American transfer student, who's parents actually give her quite the reputation to begin. Especially when I'm supposed to be dead apparently.