Two New Bishops

"..." The room was quiet when Elliot entered.

Selia and Darwin felt...A slight tinge of disappointment.

Elliot, the man they had heard much praise of seemed...Too normal.

Tension filled the room as the rooks respectfully bowed.

"I will be speaking on behalf of master Elliot." Persicus stood up.

"Ahem." He cleared his throat,"We will be facing our first war very soon. So...We need to decide how to split the spoils..."

Selia was astonished,"Spoils? What do you mean? Isn't this a talk for strategies?"

The rooks stared through the holes in their masks before breaking out into laughter.

Alyssa wiped a tear from her eye,"Oh my...That was a good joke. I never knew Beast-kin could be so funny!"

"Joke?..."

Honey clapped his hands, a portal appeared as two dragons dropped onto the ground with quiet grunts.

Darwin and Selia immediately recognised them.

"These are two great workers that have signed themselves into our blood contract. Every fibre of being within them belongs to us and we got them for free!" Honey laughed,"We even got the Greexonia kingdom as a bonus though it took longer to clean up the bodies than take it over..." He muttered.

Selia shivered,"A-are they?..."

"Mhm! Lysander Alexander and Maximilian Drimeus of the old Greexonia kingdom. Not bad if you ask me. We can loan them if you want. The other three are waiting in rooms too."

Darwin felt as if he had entered another world where everything was different.

He couldn't be believe how casually they mentioned winning the war.

That strategy was not a factor.

Elliot held up a hand, signalling silence.

"Master says that Abigail and Candie will handle the war. The rest of us will help our new allies settle in with new trade routes, discussion of government and of course, integration." Persicus informed.

"Two people?...Surely that is not..."

"Master says: They are sufficient. I would have trusted either to finish the job alone but...One must remain cautious of wild cards."

"But the army of three kingdoms surely it would require an army!" Selia shouted, concerned at Elliot's nonchalance.

Persicus bent down and nodded after hearing Elliot,"Take that one of my six aides is equal to several million magic casters. It is no hyperbole. In time, you might come to accept this fact better."

Darwin chuckled, not caring anymore.

It seemed that irregardless of whatever his mind came up with to attempt to counter the mysterious Emperor's words, that it would grow even more preposterous.

"So, why have you brought us here, your majesty?" Darwin inquired.

"To explain the conditions of my kingdom."

"Conditions?..." Selia asked.

"My kingdom is multi-racial. I accept all races that wish for me to rule over them. I expect your kingdoms to do the same. If your kind discriminates against even a weak race, you mustn't hesitate nor waver in meting out punishment. That is my first and foremost condition."

"I can accept that...If the other races do the same." Selia said, protective of her own kind.

"If they do not, you similarly have jurisdiction to punish them."

"Very well."

"I accept." Darwin answered.

"My next condition. I am a pragmatic person. I have no qualms about questioning a god nor do I believe in one. I have a few life mottos I follow. One of them is that trust is the fundamental building blocks to a kingdom. If you betray my trust and turn traitor..." The temperature in the room seemed to drop.

"I have no qualms with inhumane tactics either. Hostages, killing, mass panic you name it. If you choose to turn a blind eye to fealty...I will similarly do so to my agreements."

Selia and Darwin nodded, knowing full well with such military might, retaliation was not an option that would end well for them.

They both silently nodded.

"And lastly...I will inform you...No, this is more of a warning. I like rules. Rules dictate things, makes everything seem right, seem in place. Rules are what make sure everyone doesn't go on rampages. So acquaint yourself with our kingdom's rules. The law is hard but it is the law."

"Then...What of our countries' laws?" Darwin questioned.

"If you want to add laws, bring it up with one of my subjects. That's it for now. My subordinate will take over. As for Abigail and Candie...You may move out now. I wish to watch." Elliot stood up as they bowed.

Abigail giggled uncontrollably, a malicious grin under her mask.

Candie was silent, but his jittering feet and hands said it all.

Selia gulped.

They seemed so lax, even when they were about to face at least a million people.

Elliot stood up, stoic as ever, every sign of human emotion not evident even to Selia's advanced hearing and sight.

Perhaps she was too distracted with the rest to notice the almost harmless looking man.

—————

"Forced conscription for all men and women over fifteen? Good lord is the king going to war with a god?" Evie muttered sarcastically.

They were having lunch at a tavern.

"Least it doesn't affect us. We're all adventurers so we are required by law to not interfere unless required..." Tom replied.

"...I hope she's doing alright." James mumbled.

Elliot had left a week prior to return to Elisa.

"..."

"She'll be fine." Evie said curtly.

"But-"

"She'll. Be. Fine." Evie replied yet again, with more force, as if telling James to not push to subject.

James nodded and sighed,"Well...City's on lockdown so we can't do much."

Then-

DING!

DING!

DING!

"War bell? This fast?" Tom was apprehensive.

"Seems like it."

"They decided to attack on our soil? Fuck, they are confident."

"Well, time to sit tight. It'll be like every other war, innit? Long drag and famine. Glory to Behrealia." Tom laughed.

Evie rolled her eyes,"Such optimists we are. C'mon, let's get a closer look at this mythical army Elliot's been bragging about."

James shrugged,"Sure."

They stood up and headed for the walls, soldiers ran towards the gate as people shouted.